Adventist Health System
|Headquarters||Altamonte Springs, Florida, United States|
Number of employees
The Adventist Health System is a non-profit health care organization which operates facilities within the Southern and Midwestern regions of the United States headquartered in Altamonte Springs, Florida. It is run by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. It is the largest not-for-profit Protestant healthcare provider and one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the nation. It has more than 40 hospital campuses, nearly 8,200 licensed beds in 10 states, and serves 4.7 million patients annually.
At the behest of Ellen G. White, the Seventh-day Adventist Church first established the Western Health Reform Institute in Battle Creek, Michigan in 1866, to care for the sick as well as to disseminate health instruction. Over the years, other Adventist sanitariums were established around the country. These sanitariums evolved into hospitals, forming the core of Adventists' medical network.
In 1972, the Church decided to centralize the management of its healthcare institutions on a regional basis and, in so doing, formed the Adventist Health System to support and strengthen Seventh-day Adventist healthcare organizations in the Southern and Southwestern regions of the United States.
Ten years later, the regional operations formed a national organization, Adventist Health System.
Adventist Health System organizations currently operate 44 hospitals and 16 nursing homes with more than 7,700+ licensed beds, serves 4 million patients annually in inpatient, outpatient and emergency room visits, and employ 79,000 people.
Philosophy of care
Adventist Health System's mission is to "extending the healing ministry of Christ". They adhere to a faith-based model called CREATION Health.
Adventist Health System's main facility, Florida Hospital, was founded in 1908 and is the largest hospital in the United States, according to Becker's Hospital Review. It is ranked the No. 1 hospital in the state of Florida by U.S. News & World Report. Various departments rank among "Best Hospitals" according to U.S. News & World Report: cardiology and heart surgery (#44), diabetes and endocrinology (#16), gastroenterology and GI surgery (#33), geriatrics (#28), gynecology (#13), nephrology (#45), neurology and neurosurgery (#38), pulmonology (#42), and urology (#21).
- Gallup Great Workplace Award - Adventist Health System has received the Gallup Great Workplace Award for five consecutive years (2011-2015) for creating an engaged workplace culture that drives business outcomes.
- HealthCare's Most Wired - Adventist Health System received HealthCare’s Most Wired Award two years in a row (2013-2014) for meeting specific IT requirements in four focus areas: infrastructure, business and administrative management, clinical quality and safety, and clinical integration.
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
- Adventist Health
- Adventist Health International
- Adventist Health Studies
- Adventist HealthCare
- List of Seventh-day Adventist hospitals
- List of Seventh-day Adventist medical schools
- List of Seventh-day Adventist secondary schools
- List of Seventh-day Adventist colleges and universities
- "Group of non-profit hospitals and healthcare offices operated by the Seventh-Day Adventist Church" http://www.adventisthealthsystem.com/
- About Us – Adventist Health System. Accessed 2014-04-30
- Gamble, Molly. "15 Largest Nonprofit Health Systems | 2014". www.beckershospitalreview.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "About Us | About | Adventist Health System". www.adventisthealthsystem.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "Adventist Health". Company Histories, www.fundinguniverse.com. Archived from the original on 8 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-04.
- "About AHS". Adventist Health System (2014). Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- "CREATION Health". www.creationhealth.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- Marshall, Erin. "50 largest hospitals in America | 2015". www.beckershospitalreview.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "Florida Hospital is ranked the #1 Hospital in Florida by U.S. News & World Report". www.floridahospital.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "Adventist Health System Wins 2015 Gallup Great Workplace Award | News | Adventist Health System". www.adventisthealthsystem.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "Adventist Health System Named 2015 Most Wired | News | Adventist Health System". www.adventisthealthsystem.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.