Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!!
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!!|
North American box art
Bandai Namco Games
|Platform(s)||Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS|
|Release||Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS|
Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!! is a 2D side-scrolling action-adventure video game developed by WayForward Technologies and published by Bandai Namco Games and D3 Publisher for the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS. It is based on Pendleton Ward's animated television series Adventure Time. The game was released in North America for retail release on November 20, 2012, and digitally via Nintendo eShop on December 13, 2012. The 3DS version was later released in Europe and Australia on February 13, 2014, as a Nintendo eShop exclusive.
The gameplay is shown to top-down when Finn and Jake are exploring The Land of Ooo, but when the player goes into a dungeon, the gameplay switches into a 2D side-scroller, much like Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. The game contains a second quest once beaten. It has many items that help the player on the adventure, many which are iconic items from the show such as the Tiger Claw and Royal Tart. Some items are food items that replenish some of your health. Combining food can either replenish more health, (like hamburger and ketchup) or harm your health (like hamburger and maple syrup). There are four mainlands players can explore: the Grasslands, Candy Kingdom, Ice Kingdom, and Red Rock Pass. Jake learns more of his stretchy abilities as players progress into the game. They include a wavy punch, ear shield, transforming into a bridge, dinghy, parasol and many more.
The Ice King is busily constructing a Garbage Princess out of the odds and ends left lying around by heroes Finn and Jake. It is up to Finn and Jake to set things straight.
The game was initially announced on March 23, 2012, by both WayForward and the series' creator Pendleton Ward, who worked with the developer as a creative consultant for the game. Jake Kaufman composed the music for the game, which was completely original except for the title theme.
On July 12, 2012, it was revealed that the game would have a collector's edition for both DS and 3DS. It includes a steel-case cover of the Enchiridion (The hero's handbook), a poster of Ooo, a book called Book of Beasts, and a stylus designed after Finn's sword.
The game received mixed reviews from critics. It holds a 67% score on Metacritic, with some criticism of its relatively short story length. IGN's Lucas M. Thomas, an avid Adventure Time fan, gave the game an 8.5 "great" rating, commenting that "this is an amazing adventure and I have almost no complaints to level against it." GamingUnion.net's Spencer Pressly scored it as a 7/10, arguing that while "this is what most Adventure Time fans could want in a game", but due to the short story length it "should've been a downloadable title".
- "Nintendo Download: 13th February (Europe)". Nintendo Life. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Adventure Time Game: Short, but Mathematical". GameSkinny. Retrieved July 13, 2016.
- Drake, Audrey (August 28, 2012). "Adventure Time 3DS: Zelda II in the Land of Ooo". IGN. News Corporation. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- MacDonald, Keza (March 23, 2012). "Adventure Time Game Heading to DS". IGN. News Corporation. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- Hinkle, David (July 13, 2012). "Adventure Time 'collector's edition' spotted". Joystiq. AOL. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!! for 3DS Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- Thomas, Lucas M. (November 22, 2012). "Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!! Review". IGN. News Corporation. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!! Review (Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS)". GamingUnion.net. 2012-12-16. Retrieved 2013-03-08.