|Categories||Advertising and Marketing|
|Year founded||January 11, 1930|
|Company||Crain Communications, Inc.|
|Based in||New York, NY|
Ad Age, known as Advertising Age until 2017, is a global media brand publishing analysis, news and data on marketing and media. Its namesake magazine, Advertising Age, was started as a broadsheet newspaper in Chicago in 1930. Today, its content appears in multiple formats, including AdAge.com, daily e-mail newsletters, social channels, events and a bimonthly print magazine.
Ad Age is based in New York City. Its parent company, Detroit-based Crain Communications, is a privately held publishing company with more than 30 magazines, including Autoweek, Crain's New York Business, Crain's Chicago Business, Crain's Detroit Business, and Automotive News.
Advertising Age launched as a broadsheet newspaper in Chicago in 1930.
In 1999, Advertising Age published a list of the top 100 players in advertising history. Among these were Alvin Achenbaum, Bill Backer, Marion Harper Jr., Mary Wells Lawrence, ACNielsen, David Ogilvy, and J. Walter Thompson. In 1980, Henderson Advertising, founded by James M. Henderson in Greenville, South Carolina, became the first agency outside New York or Chicago to be named "Advertising Agency of the Year" by Advertising Age.
The site AdCritic.com was acquired by The Ad Age Group in March 2002.
An industry trade magazine, BtoB, was folded into Advertising Age in January 1, 2014.
In 2017, the magazine shortened its name to Ad Age.
- "Ad Age Comes of Age: A Timeline of Classic Covers". Archived from the original on 2017-10-04. Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Crain Communications, Inc.|Company Profile|Vault.com". Vault. Archived from the original on 2016-11-15. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "James M. Henderson (1921-1995)". knowitall.org. Archived from the original on 2013-06-12. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- "Trade-mag publisher absorbs AdCritic". CNET. Archived from the original on 2016-12-15. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- D.B. Hebbard (October 1, 2013). "Crain Communications says it will fold BtoB magazine into Advertising Age in 2014". Talking New Media. Archived from the original on 2017-02-02. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- "Ad Age is getting a new look in rebrand effort". nypost.com. 2017-09-24. Retrieved 2019-05-29.