Advocaat or Advocaatenborrel is a traditional Dutch alcoholic beverage made from eggs, sugar and brandy. The rich and creamy drink has a smooth, custard-like flavor and is similar to eggnog. The typical alcohol content is generally somewhere between 14% and 20% ABV. Its contents may be a blend of egg yolks, aromatic spirits, sugar or honey, brandy, vanilla and sometimes cream (or evaporated milk). Notable makers of advocaat include Bols, DeKuyper and Verpoorten.
Types and uses
Thick advocaat is sold mainly on the Dutch and Belgian market, though in lesser quantities it can also be found Germany, Austrian, and Tyrolean markets. It is often eaten with a little spoon, while a more liquid version is sold as an export. Thick advocaat contains egg yolks, and is used as a waffle topping and as an ingredient for several kinds of desserts such as ice cream, custards and pastries. It is also served as an apéritif or digestif in a wide glass with whipped cream and cocoa powder sprinkled on top.
In the export variety whole eggs are used. The best known cocktail using advocaat is the Snowball: a mixture of advocaat, sparkling lemonade and sometimes lime juice, although this is not required for the drink. Another is the Fluffy duck, made with rum. A highly popular advocaat-based beverage is the Bombardino, a drink commonly found in Italian ski resorts, particularly the Italian Alps, made by mixing advocaat, brandy, and whipped cream.
- Rinsky, Laura Halpin; Glenn Rinsky (2009). The Pastry Chef's Companion: A Comprehensive Resource Guide for the Baking and Pastry Professional. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons. p. 3. ISBN 0-470-00955-1. OCLC 173182689.
- "Bombardino-Calimero". 12 Bottle Bar. 9 December 2010. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- Marcus, Lori (2003). Bartending Inside-Out: The Guide to Profession, Profit and Fun (3rd ed.). Crystal Bay, Nev.: Cadillac Press. ISBN 9780964201989. OCLC 53886964.
- Walton, Stuart (2004). The Ultimate Book of Cocktails: How to Create Over 600 Fantastic Drinks Using Spirits, Liqueurs, Wine, Beer and Mixers. London: Hermes House. ISBN 9780681768819. OCLC 156369625.
- Media related to Advocaat at Wikimedia Commons