Aeon (digital magazine)
Type of site
|Owner||Aeon Media Group Ltd., Melbourne, Australia|
|Alexa rank||4,991 (US, October 2016)|
Aeon is a digital magazine of ideas, philosophy and culture. Publishing new articles every weekday, Aeon describes itself as a publication which "asks the biggest questions and finds the freshest, most original answers, provided by world-leading authorities on science, philosophy and society." Since 2016 it has been a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not-For-Profits Commission.
Aeon was founded in London in September 2012 by Paul and Brigid Hains, an Australian couple. It now has offices in London, Melbourne and New York. On July 1, 2016, Aeon became a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not-For-Profits Commission, in the categories of advancing culture and advancing education.
Aeon's content consists of long-form, in-depth Essays, shorter Ideas pieces, and short documentaries under the banner of Aeon Video. It also runs a Conversations channel, where readers are invited to answer questions related to articles, and to contribute their own point of view.
Aeon Video's program is composed of curated selections, short documentaries that are exclusive to Aeon, and original series produced by Aeon. The most notable of these is the In Sight series, which features interviews and discussions with leading philosophers, scientists, thinkers and writers .
The In Sight videos feature original artwork by Ryan McAmis.
Contributors have included Sabine Hossenfelder, George Musser, Philip Ball, Janna Levin, Frans de Waal, Julian Baggini, A.L. Kennedy, David Dobbs, Michael Graziano, Sven Birkerts, Marek Kohn, Tim Lott , Jessa Gamble, Ruth Padel, Steven Poole, John Quiggin, Roger Scruton, David Deutsch, Wendy Orent, Vincent T. DeVita, Dava Sobel and E.O. Wilson.
- "About Aeon". Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- Rachel McAthy (September 17, 2012). "New digital magazine AEON will 'delve behind the news'". journalism.co.uk.
- Hamish McKenzie (September 16, 2013). "Is Aeon Magazine the best magazine on the Internet?". Pando Daily.
- "Aeon Media Group Limited". Australian Charities and Not-For-Profits Commission. Retrieved December 25, 2016.
- "Vimeo Staff Picks". June 27, 2016.
- Catherine Arnold (October 12, 2015). "Light Pollution: How It Makes Animals Feel, What to Do". Nature World News.
- Sallie Robins (June 17, 2014). "Winners Announced for 2014 Journalism Awards". Association of British Science Writers. Archived from the original on June 23, 2014.