From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Douglas DC-9-DIZF Aermediterranea.jpg
IATA ICAO Callsign
Founded16 January 1981[2]
Commenced operations1 July 1983
Ceased operations1985 (merged with Aero Trasporti Italiani)
HubsRome - Fiumicino

Aermediterranea was an Italian airline founded in 1981 as a subsidiary of Alitalia to replace Itavia on the Italian domestic scene. The airline was owned by Alitalia and ATI, and was later merged into ATI in 1985.


The Italian Minister of Transport Rino Formica announced the formation of Aermediterranea as a joint-venture between Alitalia and ATI. Alitalia provided 55% of the capital and ATI provided the remaining 45%. After the revocation of the air operator's certificate of the private airline Itavia, all of the flight crew was transferred over to Aermediterranea.

The airline entered service on 1 July 1981, using eight McDonnell Douglas DC-9-32s, serving 572,000 passengers in 1982. In 1985, Aermediterranea ceased to exist and its employees and aircraft were transferred over to ATI, which was itself later absorbed by the parent company Alitalia in 1994.


The Aermediterranea fleet used eight McDonnell Douglas DC-9-32 aircraft.

Registration Number Name
I-ATIH 47553/642 Lido degli Estensi
I-ATIQ 47591/706 Sila
I-ATJB 47653/760 Riviera del Conero
I-DIBO 47237/451 Conca d'Oro
I-DIKS 47229/356 Isola di Filicudi
I-DIKT 47230/395 Isola di Ustica
I-DIZF 47519/615 Dolomiti
N516MD 47128/210 Isola di Ponza


In addition to charter service to and from cities in Europe (mainly in Germany and England), Aermediterranea operated flights between the following Italian cities:


  1. ^ "International airport" Archived February 2, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. NTV Logistics Corporation. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
  2. ^ "Aermediterranea". Airline Timetable Images. Retrieved 18 January 2014.

External links[edit]

Media related to Aermediterranea at Wikimedia Commons