Aerobics and Fitness Association of America
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Athletics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) is a fitness education company that was established in 1983, and operates out of Sherman Oaks, California. The company was previously known as the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America, but changed its name in July 2016. According to Andrew Wyant, president and general manager of the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), parent organization of AFAA, the name change was to better demonstrate the vision AFAA has for a future in fitness that includes so many more activities than aerobics classes.
AFAA offers education workshops and certifications internationally but mainly operates in the United States. AFAA's certifications are accredited by Vital Research and AFAA is a member of the National Organization of Competency Assurance (NOCA). AFAA also applied for an additional accreditation through an organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the U.S. Department of Education, meeting IHRSA's recommendation on accreditation for fitness certification organizations. Through its semi-annual event, APEX, AFAA has succeeded in attracting and certifying personal trainers year after year.
AFAA has expanded the company in Japan, and more recently China. AFAA China held their first workshops at Nirvana Gym in Beijing, China with 50 participants. AFAA Japan was first introduced in 1988. There are now 180 AFAA educational faculty members in Japan.
Certifications and workshops
AFAA offers the following certification programs and workshops.
- Personal Fitness Trainer Certification
- Primary Group Exercise Certification
- Kickboxing Certification
- Step Certification
- Military Fitness Specialist Certification
- Aqua Fitness
- Fighting Obesity: A Practical Approach
- Floor, Core & More for Personal Trainers
- Fuzecraze™ Dance Drills & Skills
- G.E.A.R.: Indoor Cycling
- Golden Hearts™: Senior Fitness Training
- Group Exercise: The Practical Way™
- Group Resistance Training
- KickBoxing Skills & Choreography
- Midlife Fitness for Women
- National Board Review Course for PFTs
- Perinatal Fitness
- Practical Pilates™
- Practical Yoga Instructor Training
- Step Skills & Choreography
- Sunrise Yoga
Online-Exclusive Specialty Workshops
- Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program
- Beyond Mat Science
- Diet Free Life®
- Health Coaching Skills
- Jillian Michaels - BODYSHRED™
- NASM - Group Personal Training
- Nutrition for Sports and Exercise
- Power Music | Group Rx RIP
- Prehab vs Rehab™
- Yoga and Pilates on the Ball Training
American Fitness is a division of AFAA that publishes a magazine. It is the official publication of AFAA and it has gained over 100,000 readers. The topic of the articles are usually related to Health clubs, health-related fitness research, current trends, and advances in equipment and training applications. As of July 2012, Meg Jordan served as the Editor-at-large and Kevin McGuire as its Managing Editor.
AFAA is now distributing audio tracks for fitness workshops, as well as videos.