Williams et al., 1953
Williams et al., 1953
Aerococcus is a genus in the phylum Firmicutes (Bacteria). The genus was first identified in 1953 from samples of air and dust as a catalase-negative, Gram-positive coccus that grew in small clusters. They were subsequently found in hospital environments and meat-curing brines. It has been difficult to identify as it resembles alpha-hemolytic Streptococcus on blood agar plates and is difficult to identify by biochemical means. Sequencing of 16S rRNA has become the gold standard for identification, but other techniques such as MALDI-TOF have also been useful for identifying both the genus and species.
The name Aerococcus derives from the Greek aer, aeros (ἀήρ, ἀέρος), air; New Latin coccus (from Greekkokkos (κόκκος)), a berry; New Latin Aerococcus, air coccus. The name was given based on its round shape and that it was first discovered in air samples.
The genus contains these species:
- A. christensenii Collins et al., 1999, named after the Danish microbiologist Jens J. Christensen
- A. sanguinicola Lawson et al., 2001 (from the Latin for blood-dweller)
- A. suis Vela et al., 2007 (Latin for "of a hog")
- A. urinae Aguirre & Collins, 1992 (Latin for "of urine")
- A. urinaeequi (Garvie, 1988) Felis et al., 2005 (Latin for "of the urine of a horse", source of isolation of the type strain)
- A. urinaehominis Lawson et al., 2001 (Latin for "of the urine of a human", source of isolation of the type strain)
- A. viridans Williams et al., 1953 – type species of the genus (Latin for "making green", producing a green color). Causative agent of gaffkaemia, a disease of lobsters.
- Classification of Genera AC entry in LPSN [Euzéby, J.P. (1997). "List of Bacterial Names with Standing in Nomenclature: a folder available on the Internet". Int J Syst Bacteriol. 47 (2): 590–2. ISSN 0020-7713. PMID 9103655. doi:10.1099/00207713-47-2-590.]
- Williams, R. E. O.; Hirch, A.; Cowan, S. T. (1953-06-01). "Aerococcus, a New Bacterial Genus". Journal of General Microbiology. 8 (3): 475–480. doi:10.1099/00221287-8-3-475.
- Aguirre, M.; Collins, M. D. (1993-05-01). "Development of a polymerase chain reaction test for specific identification of the urinary tract pathogen Aerococcus urinae". Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 31 (5): 1350–1353. ISSN 0095-1137. PMC . PMID 7684752.
- Rasmussen, Magnus (Jun 2013). "Aerococci and aerococcal infections". Journal of Infection. 66 (6): 467–474. PMID 23277106. doi:10.1016/j.jinf.2012.12.006.
- Aerococcus entry in LPSN [Euzéby, J.P. (1997). "List of Bacterial Names with Standing in Nomenclature: a folder available on the Internet". Int J Syst Bacteriol. 47 (2): 590–2. ISSN 0020-7713. PMID 9103655. doi:10.1099/00207713-47-2-590.]
- "Note: Aerococcus christensenii sp. nov., from the human vagina". Ijs.sgmjournals.org. 1999-07-01. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Notification that new names and new combinations have appeared in volume 50, part 2, of the IJSEM". Ijs.sgmjournals.org. 2001-05-01. Archived from the original on 2008-08-28. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Vela, A. I.; Garcia, N.; Latre, M. V.; Casamayor, A.; Sanchez-Porro, C.; Briones, V.; Ventosa, A.; Dominguez, L.; Fernandez-Garayzabal, J. F. (2007). "Aerococcus suis sp. Nov., isolated from clinical specimens from swine". International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 57 (6): 1291–1294. PMID 17551045. doi:10.1099/ijs.0.64537-0.
- "Validation of the Publication of New Names and New Combinations Previously Effectively Published Outside the IJSB". Ijs.sgmjournals.org. 1992-07-01. Archived from the original on 2009-04-18. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Giovanna E. Felis; Sandra Torriani; Franco Dellaglio (2005-01-14). "Reclassification of Pediococcus urinaeequi (ex Mees 1934) Garvie 1988 as Aerococcus urinaeequi comb. nov". Ijs.sgmjournals.org. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- P A Lawson; E Falsen; M Ohlén; M D Collins (2001-03-01). "Aerococcus urinaehominis sp. nov., isolated from human urine". Ijs.sgmjournals.org. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Approved Lists of Bacterial Names". Ijs.sgmjournals.org. 1980-01-01. Archived from the original on 2009-09-04. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- Spencer J. Greenwood; Ian R. Keith; Béatrice M. Després; Richard J. Cawthorn (2005). "Genetic characterization of the lobster pathogen Aerococcus viridans var. homari by 16S rRNA gene sequence and RAPD" (PDF). Diseases of Aquatic Organisms. 63 (2–3): 237–246. PMID 15819439. doi:10.3354/dao063237.
|This Lactobacillales-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|