This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Aerophilately is the branch of philately that specializes in the study of airmail. Philatelists have observed the development of mail transport by air from its beginning, and all aspects of airmail service have been extensively studied and documented by specialists.
The scope of aerophilately includes:
- airmail postage stamps, both official and unofficial (see list of US airmail postage here)
- other types of labels (such as airmail etiquettes)
- postal documents transmitted by air
- postal markings related to air transport
- rates and routes, particularly first flights and other "special" flights
- mail recovered from aircraft accidents and other incidents (crash covers)
While most of the study of airmail assumes transport by fixed-wing aircraft, the fields of balloon mail, dirigible mail, zeppelin mail, missile mail, and rocket mail are active subspecialties. Astrophilately, the study of mail in space, is a related area.
International Federation of Aerophilatelic Societies, (FISA), is the umbrella organization for aerophilately though aerophilatelists have formed a number of organizations around the world; many of them put out a variety of specialized publications. Federation Internationale de Philatelie (FIP) also maintains a commission.
- Airmail stamps of Denmark
- Airmails of the United States
- Fitzgerald Collection
- List of United States airmail stamps
- Scott Collection A collection of British internal airmails.
- Seymour Collection A collection relating to the de Havilland Comet.
- FIP official commissions webpage Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- Richard McP. Cabeen, Standard Handbook of Stamp Collecting (Collectors Club, 1979), pp. 207–221
- Cheryl Ganz, ed. Collecting Air Mail (American Air Mail Society)
- American Air Mail Catalogue (AAMS, 6th ed. 1998)
- Baldwin, N.C. (1947). British Air Mails 1784-1946. Sutton Coldfield, UK): Francis J. Field Ltd.
- William Victor Kriebel, A History of the Development of Air Mail Service in Brazil (AAMS)
- William J. Murphy, Irish Airmail 1919-1990 (Irish Airmail Society, 1996)
- Örjan, Lüning (1978). Luftpostens historia i Norden - The history of airmail in Scandinavia. Stockholm: Sveriges Filatelist-Forbund.
- Kronstein, Dr. Max (1978). Pioneer Airpost Flights of The World 1830-1935. Washington D. C.: American Air Mail Society.
- Thomassen, Egil H. (1998). Norwegian Air Mail. Oslo: Norsk Filatelistforbund. ISBN 82-90272-69-3.
- Newall, Alexander S. (1985). British External Air Mails until 1934. London: Kingfisher Press. ISBN 0-9510749-0-3.
- Proud, Edward B. (1991). The Postal History of British Airmails. Heathfield, East Sussex: Proud-Bailey Co. Ltd. ISBN 1-872465-72-2.
- Gérard Collot and Alain Cornu, Ligne Mermoz, catalog of French airmail flight covers, 1919-1940