Aeroprakt A-22 Foxbat
|Role||Sports Light Aircraft|
|First flight||21 October 1996|
|Produced||2000 to present|
|Variants||Aeroprakt A-32 Vixxen|
The Aeroprakt A-22 Foxbat is a Ukrainian two-seat, high-wing, tricycle landing gear ultralight aircraft that was designed by Yuri Yakovlev and is manufactured by Aeroprakt. In the United States the A-22 is referred to as the Valor, while in the UK and Australia it is called the Foxbat. It has also been marketed as the Vision.
Design and development
The A-22's structure is almost completely all-metal with only the engine cowling, wing fillets and wheel spats being made of composites. The wings and control surfaces are fabric covered. The aircraft has excellent visibility, due to the large amount of glazing, including convex doors, that allow the occupants to look straight down. The A-22 uses a 3-axis control system, giving the pilot full control over the aircraft. The A-22 uses flaperons in place of ailerons and flaps, giving a stall speed of 52 km/h (32 mph) with the flaperons fully down.
Originally the A-22 came fitted with a 40-litre inboard fuel tank behind the seats, although later models have wing tanks holding 37.5 litres per side. The propeller is a 3-blade composite ground adjustable KievProp. Dual controls are standard, using a single central "Y" yoke or optionally twin yoke control system.
- Version built in Ukraine with a higher gross weight of 600 kg (1,323 lb) for the landplane and 650 kg (1,433 lb) for the seaplane.
- Light-sport version for the American market with a higher gross weight of 600 kg (1,323 lb) for the landplane and 650 kg (1,433 lb) for the seaplane.
Specifications (A-22 Valor, Rotax 912 ULS engine)
Data from Jane's All The World's Aircraft 2003–2004
- Crew: 1 pilot
- Capacity: 1 passenger
- Length: 6.30 m (20 ft 8 in)
- Wingspan: 10.10 m (33 ft 1¾ in)
- Height: 2.40 m (7 ft 10½ in)
- Wing area: 13.70 m2 (147.5 ft2)
- Empty weight: 260 kg (573 lb)
- Max. takeoff weight: 450 kg (992 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 912ULS flat-4 engine, (100 hp)
- Maximum speed: 204 km/h (110 knots, 126 mph)
- Cruise speed: 167 km/h (90 knots, 104 mph)
- Stall speed: 52 km/h (28 knots, 32 mph)
- Range: 1,100 km (594 nmi, 683 mi)
- Service ceiling: 10,000 feet ()
- Rate of climb: 984 ft/min (5.0 m/s)
- Minimum power/mass: 9.9 lbs/hp ()
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 20. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- Aeroprakt USA A-22
- Bertrand, Noel; Rene Coulon; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2003-04, page 118. Pagefast Ltd, Lancaster OK, 2003. ISSN 1368-485X
- Tacke, Willi; Marino Boric; et al: World Directory of Light Aviation 2015-16, page 17. Flying Pages Europe SARL, 2015. ISSN 1368-485X
- Jackson 2003, p. 464.
- The UK 'Foxbat' website
- Jackson 2003, pp. 464–465.
- Jackson, Paul. Jane's All The World's Aircraft 2003–2004. Coulsdon, UK:Jane's Information Group, 2003. ISBN 0-7106-2537-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aeroprakt A-22.|