Aerosol-generating procedures include positive-pressure mechanical ventilation including BiPAP and continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP), high-frequency ventilation, tracheal intubation, airway suction, tracheostomy, chest physiotherapy, nebuliser treatment, sputum induction, bronchoscopy and ultrasonic scaling and root planing.
The term became popular during the 2003 SARS epidemic, where small retrospective studies showed a higher rate of infection amongst healthcare workers in which the procedures had been performed. However this has come under debate in the COVID-19 pandemic  and during this pandemic studies have been made that quantified the amount of aerosols produced by some AGPs and found that some AGPs generate less aerosols than a cough, so some AGPs may not increase the risk significantly above that of a patient breathing or coughing normally but data is still lacking for many AGPs.
- El-Boghdadly, K.; Wong, D. J. N.; Owen, R.; Neuman, M. D.; Pocock, S.; Carlisle, J. B.; Johnstone, C.; Andruszkiewicz, P.; Baker, P. A.; Biccard, B. M.; Bryson, G. L. (2020-06-09). "Risks to healthcare workers following tracheal intubation of patients with COVID-19: a prospective international multicentre cohort study". Anaesthesia. doi:10.1111/anae.15170. ISSN 1365-2044. PMID 32516833.
- Tran K, Cimon K, Severn M, Pessoa-Silva CL, Conly J (April 2012). "Aerosol generating procedures and risk of transmission of acute respiratory infections to healthcare workers: a systematic review". PLoS One. 7 (4): e35797. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0035797. PMID 22563403.
- Wilson, Nick; Corbett, Stephen; Tovey, Euan (2020). "Airborne transmission of covid-19". BMJ 2020;370:m3206. doi:10.1136/bmj.m3206. PMID 32819961.
- Klompas, Michael; Baker, Meghan; Rhee, Chanu (2021-02-01). "What Is an Aerosol-Generating Procedure?". JAMA Surgery. 156 (2): 113. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2020.6643. ISSN 2168-6254.
- Nestor, C. C.; Wang, S.; Irwin, M. G. (2021). "Are tracheal intubation and extubation aerosol‐generating procedures?". Anaesthesia. 76 (2): 151–155. doi:10.1111/anae.15328. ISSN 0003-2409. PMC 7753480. PMID 33274761.
- Brown, J.; Gregson, F. K. A.; Shrimpton, A.; Cook, T. M.; Bzdek, B. R.; Reid, J. P.; Pickering, A. E. (2021). "A quantitative evaluation of aerosol generation during tracheal intubation and extubation". Anaesthesia. 76 (2): 174–181. doi:10.1111/anae.15292. ISSN 0003-2409.
- Dhillon, R. S.; Rowin, W. A.; Humphries, R. S.; Kevin, K.; Ward, J. D.; Phan, T. D.; Nguyen, L. V.; Wynne, D. D.; Scott, D. A.; the Clinical Aerosolisation Study Group; Yule, A. (2021). "Aerosolisation during tracheal intubation and extubation in an operating theatre setting". Anaesthesia. 76 (2): 182–188. doi:10.1111/anae.15301. ISSN 0003-2409. PMC 7675280. PMID 33047327.