Aes Dana (band)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Genres||Celtic metal, black metal|
|Labels||Oaken Shield, Sacral, Trollzorn|
|Associated acts||Antaeus, Arkhon Infaustus|
|Past members||(see below)|
The band mix black metal features like growling vocals or heavy guitar sound with traditional Celtic instruments like Irish flute or bombard. These characteristics, coming from the various influences of the band's early members (death metal, black metal, grindcore, but also folk music), give a very particular touch to their music .
Aes Dana was formed in 1994, with Taliesin (guitar) and Amorgen (Irish flute), soon joined by Vidar (vocals), Storm (drums), and Christophe (bass). Their first demo, Chroniques du crépuscule, was considered by the band as being atmospheric black metal.
In 1997 and 1999, Christophe was replaced by Milambre, and Storm by JuanJolocaust, and Seth join Taliesin as second guitarist.
They recorded in French their first full-length album in 2000. Seth Left the band the same year, later to be replaced by Tilion.
Following 2000, the band started to add new traditional instruments such as the bombard to their music. They recorded their second album La chasse sauvage, in 2001, and their third Formors, in 2005.
Until 2005, the band had the particularity to have as many women as men in its line-up (Amorgen, Taliesin, and Milambre versus Vidar, JuanJolocaust, and Tilion). According to the band, it was not a deliberate decision, but just the product of chance.
In 2006, Hades left to be replaced by Myrddin. In 2008, Taliesin came back to replace Benoit, and Iréel replaced Tilion.
Last known line-up
- Taliesin - guitars (1994-2005, 2008-?)
- Vidar - vocals (1994-?)
- Milambre - bass (1997-?)
- Myrddin - tin whistle, bombard (2005-?)
- Iréel - guitars (2010-?)
- Wilfrid Rodel - drums (2011-?)
- Tomaz Boucherifi-Kadiou - tin whistle, bombard (1997-1998)
- Storm - drums (1994-1999)
- Amorgen - flute, tin whistle (1994-1997, 1998-2005)
- Christophe - bass (1996-1997)
- Seth - guitars (1997-2000)
- Juan Jolocaust - drums (1999-2009)
- Tilion - guitars (2000-2009)
- Hades - flute (2005)
- Aegir - guitars (2005-2008)
- Chroniques du crépuscule (demo, 1997)
- Promo CD (demo, 2000)
- La chasse sauvage (2001)
- Formors (2005)
- "Interview of Aes Dana the March 2007 (In French)". spirit-of-metal.com. March 2007. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- Aes Dana refers to men of the early Irish society, who were skilled in various arts or techniques, primarily in poetic composition.
- "AES DANA - interview avec Taliesin (guitares) (In French)". gutsofdarkness.com. 2005-04-10. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- "Lyrics". Archived from the original on 2008-11-13.
- Encyclopaedia Metallum - Aes Dana
- "Formors review". chroniclesofchaos.com. 2005-10-31. Retrieved 2008-03-08.