|Member of the National Assembly of France for 2nd Constituency of Hauts-de-Seine|
2007 French legislative election
|Member of the Municipal council of Asnières-sur-Seine|
22 October 1964 |
Asnières-sur-Seine, Hauts-de-Seine, France
|Alma mater||Panthéon-Assas University|
|Committees||Constitutional Acts, Legislation and General Administration Committee|
He began his political career at the early age of 25, as a city councillor in Asnières-sur-Seine. He was appointed first deputy major and went on to be elected mayor of Asnières in 1999. He was defeated when he sought re-election in 2008.
A student of Sainte-Croix de Neuilly, he graduated from law at Panthéon-Assas University, and obtained a Master of Law and a diplôme d'études approfondies (DEA) of political science and public sector law.
As activist in RPR from 1987, he joined the City Council of Asnières-sur-Seine at the age of 25, and was appointed first deputy mayor. But in 1992, he left the municipal staff, resulting in his exclusion from the RPR. In the same year, he stood in the cantonal elections under the 'Ecology Generation' banner, but was also excluded from this movement. From 1994 to 1999, he was 1st Deputy Mayor of Asnières-sur-Seine from the ruling right coalition. Member of conseil général des Hauts-de-Seine, he chaired the Committee on Culture, Youth and Sports in 1994, and became chairman of the National Coalition of local elected officials for security. He was elected UDF mayor of Asnières-sur-Seine in 1999. He joined the UMP when it was created in 2002.
Since 2006, an investigation is in progress at the brigade suppression of economic crime (OERD) on the electoral roles concerning about 30,000 voters who were sorted by ethnicity for mayor of Asnières. Manuel Aeschlimann, termination three weeks of the elections would not be surprising. He further asserts that all files of the City Council have been declared to the CNIL and that it reserves the right to sue for slander.
In September 2006, it involves the national police to stop the unrest caused by the city council by the former deputy, Jean-Jacques Semoun, and two other advisers opposition right from the use of a door voice. The site Rue89 speaks of the "guerrilla Judicial qu'Aeschlimann lead against his opposition.
Beginning in December 2007, the press leaked a report by the regional chamber of accounts Île-de-France. The City Council indicated that the documents were not those given to the regional chamber of accounts. This document calls into question several aspects of the management of the town hall of Asnières-sur-Seine, in particular fiscal weaknesses and heavy indebtedness, excessive consumption of fuel for vehicles in city hall, a vehicle assigned to the wife of the Mayor, generous legal fee claims" the "irregular appointment of a technical executive, managing the construction of a parking lot, and a "conflict of interest" of his deputy in real estate transactions. The report, delivered by the CRC in September 2007, did not get published before the 1 December deadline, making possible its publication until after the municipal elections of March 2008. The opposition accused the town hall of the desire to cover up the findings of this report.
In the second round of the 2008 municipal elections, the socialists, MoDem, and assorted right merged their tickets. This coalition was initiated by the joint petition against the non-publication of the report by the regional chamber of accounts. The coalition, led by Sébastien Pietrasanta, finally won the elections in March 2008, with 51.86% of the vote.
The first municipal council of the newly elected team revealed that the report of the CRC which circulated during the campaign without being officially published was same as that received by Manuel Aeschlimann in September 2007.
In January 2009, he is condemned to 18 months in prison (suspended), an ineligibility of four years and a 20,000 euros fine for favoritism in a 1998 public procurement affair. In January 2011, the sentence is confirmed in appeal, the ineligibility being reduced to one year.
Member of the Hauts-de-Seine
Aeschlimann was elected Deputy for the 2nd constituency of Hauts-de-Seine in the 12th Legislature (2002-2007) on 16 June 2002, by obtaining 63.63% of votes in second round against Dominique Riera. He served on the Committee on constitutional laws, legislation and general administration of the Republic, and was reappointed Rapporteur for opinion on the budget of local authorities under the annual finance laws. He is a member of the parliamentary groups of studies on asbestos, cancer and the modernisation of French polity. He has put forward legislative proposals on matters including security, and to encourage rehabilitation of property damaged by graffiti, or to strengthen the measures taken against persons guilty of ill - treatment of elderly.
On 17 June 2007, Aeschlimann was reelected with 56.2% of the votes for the 13th legislature. On 13 March 2009, he was found guilty of favoritism in the awarding of a public contract in 1998 whilst in Asnieres, and sentenced in first instance to 18 months in prison, 4 years of ineligibility for political office and 20 000 euro fine.
Action to the UMP and with Nicolas Sarkozy
Manuel Aeschlimann becomes adviser to Nicolas Sarkozy in July 2005 after having established and chaired the committee for monitoring public opinion on the UMP. As such he warns the UMP, through surveys focused on a possible failure to win the referendum on the European constitution.
Within the 13th legislature term, he analyses and publishes studies of public opinion and members of the UMP majority in the National Assembly.
- Le Monde, Eux aussi ont fait gagner Sarkozy, 7 mai 2007 (in French)
- Constanty, Hélène; Lautrou, Pierre-Yves (2008). 9-2, le clan du président (in French). Fayard.
- Biography on the official website of Manuel Aeschlimann (in French)
- Le Parisien Haut de Seine ,Waiver of shields around the files ethnic, 22 May 2007; ' 'Suspicions sorting ethnic Asnières, 20 minutes, 21 May 2007 (in French)
- Dépêche AFP,Asnières: an opponent uses a megaphone to the municipal council, the police intervenes, 29 September 2006 (in French)
- Rue89, David Servenay," that elected Asnières want to bury (in French)
- "Asnières: Manuel Aeschlimann does not comment on the report". Le Parisien (in French). 4 December 2007.
- ' Le Parisienof 3 December 2007, Marisa Faion, "The regional chamber of accounts pin Manuel Aeschlimann"bbc3 and 4 December 2007, The report Manuel Aeschlimann pin and Asnières: Manuel Aeschlimann does not comment on the report ';Rue89, David Servenay. "-want to bury the damning audit that wants elected to bury Asnières (in French)
- Under Article L. 241-11 of the Code of financial jurisdictions to ensure that financial reports are used as arguments in elections
- Jean-Michel Normand, "Asnières, the opposition united in an "arc Republican" against M . Aeschlimann (UMP), Le Monde, 12 March 2008 (in French)
- Asnierois.org Le Parisien (in French)
- « Prison avec sursis et inéligibilité pour le député Manuel Aeschlimann », Le Monde, 13 mars 2009.
- « Favoritisme : 18 mois avec sursis, un an d'inéligibilité pour le député UMP Aeschlimann », AFP, 21 janvier 2011.
- / pion1902.aspA bill to encourage the restoration of property damaged by graffiti writers (in French)
- A bill to strengthen measures against perpetrators e mistreatment of elderly (in French)
- "Prison Sentences and ineligibility for Manuel Aeschlimann MP ",Le Monde, 13 March 2009 (in French)
- Copé recrute une jeune garde pour coacher les députés UMP, Le Figaro (in French)