Melbourne & London
|Michael O'Keeffe (CEO)|
|Products||Skin Care, Body Care, Hair, Fragrance and Home|
|Parent||Natura & Co|
Aesop (stylised as Aēsop) is a global skin care brand owned by Brazilian company Natura & Co. In addition to skin care, Aesop also produces hair care, soaps and fragrance. Each Aesop store has a unique interior design developed in collaboration with various architects, interior designers and artists. As of 2019, the brand had over 320 points of sale across 25 countries. Aesop produces 83 product formulations and three shaving accessories.
The brand has been noted for following a modern approach to prestige branding. This includes not using traditional advertisements or discount sales to promote its products but rather getting noticed and talked about for the design of its products, stores, events and communications.
Aesop was founded by hairdresser Dennis Paphitis in 1987 in Armadale, Melbourne. Suzanne Santos, whose current job title is Chief Customer Officer, was instrumental in the founding and growth of the company. She was Paphitis's first employee. In 2020, Aesop introduced their first Candle product line with 3 new scents titled Ptolemy, Aganice, and Callippus. 
In 2010 Harbert Australia Private Equity bought a minority stake in the company; Aesop used the capital injection to fund growth. In December 2012, Aesop sold a 65% stake in its business to Brazilian direct-sales cosmetics company Natura Cosméticos for US$71.6 million (approximately A$100 million). Natura took total ownership in December 2016. In September 2018, Aesop launched a luxe homewares product.
For the company's national and international experience in sustainable development, and eco-friendly products, the Environment Possibility Award conferred the "Award of Green-Trend Leader" to Aesop in 2020.
Points of sale
It has over 235 company owned signature stores across Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, USA, Italy, France, The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Russia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Sweden, Norway, Brazil, United Arab Emirates and the UK. In the US, it is also available at Barneys New York, Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue. In Canada, Aesop's products can be found at Holt Renfrew, Ogilvy, Nordstrom, and Saks Fifth Avenue.
Its largest store is its 100.8 m2 (1,085 sq ft) space in the Broadway Theater District in Downtown Los Angeles where the walls are lined with reclaimed cardboard tubing from fabric rolls discarded by the nearby fashion district. Other elements of the store's interior are made entirely from recycled paper.
Michael O'Keeffe has been CEO of Aesop since 2003.
- "Natura Cosmeticos Sa". Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Archived from the original on 11 October 2012. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Official page
- Annabel Ross, The Age Melbourne Story: Suzanne Santos 21 March 2012
- Mitchell Oakley Smith, Aesop Opens 100th Store The Australian. 1 May 2015.
- Amelia Chia, I'm with the brand: Aesop Buro 24/7 18 December 2015
- Katrina Strickland, Aesop's fable: the skincare company that puts culture first Financial Review 25 April 2017
- Kuehlwein, JP. Aesop – Fabled Brand, Fabulous Marketing. 12/2012
- Schaefer, Wolf and Kuehlwein, JP. 2015. Rethinking Prestige Branding: Secrets of the Ueber-Brands. Kogan Page. pp.106. ISBN 9780749470036
- dezeen.com Interview with Aesop founder 2012/12/10
- Fairs, Marcus (10 December 2012). "Interview with Aēsop skincare founder Dennis Paphitis on retail design". Dezeen. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- Hattie Crisell. "Aesop: The Cult Beauty Brand That Tries Not to Be". New York.
- Rachel Wells The man behind the Aesop brand The Sydney Morning Herald 23 February 2012
- Glazer, Emily (21 December 2012). "Brazil's Natura Buys Aesop Majority Stake". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Natura Announces Strategic Investment in Aesop". Business Wire. 20 December 2012. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- "Aussie brand Aesop have launched homewares". Retrieved 1 October 2018.
- "Olous Aromatique Room Spray won the 2020 Award of Green-Trend Leader". A.A. Environment Possibility Award. Retrieved 27 December 2020.
- Anna Winston, Dezeen's top 10 Aesop store designs Dezeen 17 December 2014
- "Find your nearest store". 27 October 2016.
- Barneys.com. Retrieved 1 July 2015
- Lizzie Fison, Brooks + Scarpa recycles cardboard tubes and paper for Los Angeles Aesop store interior Dezeen 21 March 2017