||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010)|
|Afdlin Shauki Bin Aksan|
|Also known as||Chief Kodokk|
|Origin||Johor Bahru, Malaysia|
Afdlin Shauki, also known as Chief Kodok to his fans, is a Malaysian writer, director, stage and screen actor, comedian, singer, songwriter and presenter.
- Aku Lelaki
- Miasara (As OST in Papadom)
- Gadis Pilihan Ibu
- Percaya (As OST in Buli and Buli Balik)
- Waras (As OST in Buli)
- Tiada Lagi
- Tuan Dan Hamba
- Bukan Cinta (As OST in Los Dan Faun)
- Sampai Bila
- Am I Too Late
- Mangsa Keadaan
- Disco Dancer
- Ku Tak Mahu
- Hingga Ke Akhirnya
- Soalnya Hati (duet with Erra Fazira)
- Diva Bermimpi (Themesong of Diva Popular – with Umie Aida, Sheila Rusly & Ezzlynn)
- Baik Punya Cilok (As themesong of Baik Punya Cilok)
- Tanya (As Soundtrack of Sumolah)
Afdlin has been working as an actor, director and presenter for TV and Film. For his role as Host on the late night talk show "Bila Larut Malam" on Astro, Afdlin received the award for Best Presenter in an Entertainment Programme during the prestigious 1999 Asian Television Awards. He has hosted the illustrious Malaysian music industry awards night (AIM Awards) for six years running, as well as game shows, sports, music and lifestyle programmes.
With his production company, Vision Works, Afdlin produced the comedy sketch show, "Ah-Ha", co-starring Harith Iskander. He also played as Bobo on the series "Phua Chu Kang", produced by Mediacorp Studios, Singapore, and airing on TCS Singapore and TV3 Malaysia. Leading up to 2007 he starred as the lead in a local sitcom, "Show Me The Money", and directed the English language "Island FM", which he conceptualised and was produced by Vision Works.
He recently collaborated with Adlin Aman Ramlie (one of the leads in the upcoming Los Dan Faun , opening 4 December 2008 Malaysia-wide) to act in the TV comedy dramas "Babak Empat Madu Tiga" and "Orang Minyak Naik Minyak".
- Ah-ha (2004–2005)
- Show Me The Money (2004–2007)
- Phua Chu Kang Pte Ltd (as Bobo in Season 7 – 8)
- Babak Empat Madu Tiga (2008)
- Orang Minyak Naik Minyak (2008)
- Spontan (2009,)
- Mandi (2009)
- Redah Kasi Pecah (2009–2010)
- Raja Lawak (2010–2011)
- Oh Yeah (2010–2011)
- Upin dan Ipin (Tetamu Artis Suara) (2012)
Afdlin has performed a number of solo stand up comedy shows on stage, and along with a team of local stage and screen actors regularly performs theatresports in a live stage show entitled "Actorlympics".
- Actorlympics (2004–current
- Why you still fat? (2005)
- Cuci (2009)
As a film actor, his local debut was as part of the supporting cast for Pesona Pictures' "Mimpi Moon", which was followed by his role as the "Interpreter" in the Hollywood movie "Anna and the King". He played his first romantic lead in Serangkai Filem's "Soal Hati", and was honoured with a Best Actor award for his portrayal of "Daniel" at the Anugerah Skrin Panca Delima Awards, 2000. He has since filmed "Soalnya Siapa?", a continuation of the story.
Afdlin has been involved in various direct-to-VCD projects, the latest being "Kelibat", a profit-sharing venture between the actors involved and Vision Works. For this Afdlin wrote, directed and acted, and it was released April 2004
His screen debut as a writer and director, as well as lead actor, manifested in "Buli", a film produced by Grand Brilliance. About being a technical savaunt and a social misfit in a corporate and highly socialised world, this film marks the expression of Afdlin's creativity and insight into storytelling and film-making. During the 2005 Malaysian Film Festival he was awarded Most Promising New Director, Best Screenplay and Best Original Story for this work. In the same year he was awarded for Best Actor, Best Director and Best Screenplay at the Anugerah Skrin Awards.
Other movies since then include "Gila-Gila Pengantin Remaja", "Pontianak", "Biar Betul", "Baik Punya Cilok" (which received the Film Goer's Choice Award at the Anugerah Skrin Era Awards of 2006), and "Buli Balik".
"Buli Balik" was awarded Best Director, Best Original Story and Best Film Awards at the 2006 Malaysian Film Festival Awards and also the BEst Director and Best Screenplay Awards at the Anugerah Skrin (TV3) awards of the same year.
In 2007 he produced, co-directed and co-wrote "Sumolah" under his company Vision Works, which was invited to show at the Fukuoka International Film Festival. He also produced, directed and wrote "Los Dan Faun" under Vision Works. In both films he played main and supportive roles.
Recently, he directed as well as acted in a Thai film, Brave. "Brave" will be re-packaged and partly re-shot for the Malaysian audience in 2011–2012.
He won critical acclaim for his film "Papadom", a story about a distracted, busy father who loses his wife in an accident, and ends up becoming over-protective of his only daughter. This bittersweet comedy drama garnered multiple awards at the 22nd Malaysian Film Festival 2009 – Best Original Story, Best Actor and Best Film, as well as Best Music Score for FIlm. Afdlin and his co-star Liyana Jasmay won Couple With Best Chemistry in the Shout Awards of 2010.
"Papadom" was in competition in the Asia Pacific International Film Festival held in Taiwan in December 2009. The film also showed in competition in the Osaka Asian Film Festival 2010 in the International Competition and received 3rd place out of 12 movies taking part in the Audience Choice Award.
In 2010 "Papadom" was re-made as a Tamil version for the Malaysian Tamil audience and was released in November 2010.
List of Afdlin's films
- Anna and the King, Actor
- Soal Hati, Actor
- Soalnya Siapa?, Actor
- Mimpi Moon, Actor
- Buli, Writer, director, actor
- Buli Balik, Writer, Driector, actor
- Baik Punya Cilok, Writer, director, actor
- Biar Betul, Actor
- Sumolah, Writer, producer, director, actor
- City Sharks, Actor
- Gila-Gila Pengantin Popular, Actor
- Diva Popular, Actor
- Gila-Gila Pengantin Remaja, Actor
- Gerak Khas 2, Actor
- Brave, Co-Producer, co-Director, actor
- Cuci, Actor
- Setem, Actor
- Los Dan Faunproduction blog, Writer, producer, director, actor
- Papadom, Writer, director, actor
- My Spy, director
- Pisau Cukur, actor
- Kapow!, actor
- Appalam, (Tamil version of Papadom, co-Writer, director, actor
- Homecoming 2011– a Chinese New Year movie by Malaysian + Singaporean
- Nasi Lemak 2.0 – Actor
- Bola Kampung The Movie, 2012 (3D Animation) – Voice Actor
- Osaka Asian Film Festival – Papadom 3rd out of 12 Audience Award (2010)
- 22nd Malaysian Film Festival – Best Actor (2009)
- 22nd Malaysian Film Festival – Best Story (2009)
- 22nd Malaysian Film Festival – Best Comedy Film (2009)
- 19th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Actor (2006)
- 19th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Story (2006)
- 17th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Screenplay (2004)
- 17th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Story (2004)
- 17th Malaysian Film Festival – Most Promising Director (2004)
- 15th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Actor (2001)
- 20th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Screenplay (2007)
- 20th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Film Director (2007)
- 20th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Actor (2007)
- 20th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Editor (2007)
- 20th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Original Theme Song (2007)
- 19th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Film Director (2006)
- 19th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Music Score (2006)
- 19th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Screenplay (2006)
- 19th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Original Theme Song (2006)
- 17th Malaysian Film Festival – Best Actor (2004)
- Asian Television Award 1999 – Best Presenter