|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||7 (list of episodes)|
- Peter Logreco
- Dan Partland
- Ben Bloodwell
- Bryan Donnell
|Running time||37–46 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Doc Shop Productions|
|Original release||August 10, 2018 – present|
Afflicted is an American documentary television series on Netflix. The show follows individuals suffering from various chronic diseases and illnesses, seeking treatment and cures. Netflix released all seven episodes of its first season on August 10, 2018.
Since its release, the show has received backlash for its portrayal of chronic illnesses as psychosomatic or psychiatric disorders. HuffPost's Caitlin Flynn wrote that the series "failed the chronic illness community". Cast members on the show have since publicly come out against the show and its editing practices. A group of physicians, scientists, filmmakers, writers, and others, including Sini Anderson, Jennifer Brea, Mario R. Capecchi, Ronald W. Davis, Lena Dunham, Maya Dusenbery, H. Craig Heller, Judith Heumann, Porochista Khakpour, Deborah Hoffmann, Monica Lewinsky, Abby Norman, Meghan O'Rourke, Frances Reid and Maysoon Zayid,
have petitioned Netflix to remove the series from its platform, identifying misrepresentation of subjects and questionable tactics as well as medical and scientific flaws as key problems.
- ^ Lapin, Andrew. "New on Netflix: August 2018". Vulture. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- ^ Birch, Jenna (2018-09-11). "Netflix's 'Afflicted' And The Constant Misunderstanding Around Chronic Illness". HuffPost. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- ^ Baltais, Christina (August 16, 2018). "Why I Believe Netflix's 'Afflicted' Is Damaging for Those of Us in the ME Community". Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- ^ Flynn, Caitlin (September 12, 2018). "How Netflix's 'Afflicted' Failed the Chronic Illness Community". HuffPost. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- ^ Wyant, Paige (August 21, 2018). "4 Ways the 'Afflicted' Cast Says Their Stories Were Distorted". The Mighty. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- ^ "The Truth Behind Netflix's 'Afflicted'". Medium. August 19, 2018. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- ^ Hill, Jamison (August 20, 2018). "Netflix and Hill: The True Story Behind "Afflicted"". Jamison Writes. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- ^ "Open Letter to Netflix Regarding the "Afflicted" Docuseries". Medium. September 17, 2018. Retrieved 2018-09-20.