Afghanistan–Denmark relations are foreign relations between Afghanistan and Denmark. Afghanistan is represented in Denmark, through its embassy in Oslo, Norway. Denmark has an embassy in Kabul. Denmark has 760 soldiers in Afghanistan, operating without caveat and concentrated in Helmand province. Relations between the two countries are friendly. About 9578 Afghans live in Denmark.
Danish military in Afghanistan
Since 2001, the Royal Danish Army has been involved in the War in Afghanistan as part of the ISAF. The Royal Danish Army with the British Army have been involved in clashes with the Taliban in the Helmand Province. Denmark had two of their F 16s in the Manas Air Base, Kyrgyzstan to support their forces in Afghanistan.
Danish Committee for Aid to Afghan Refugees is an organization, working in Afghanistan. The organization was created to support the Afghans, who had fled to Pakistan and Iran. Danish assistance to Afghanistan amounts $80 million each year. Since the fall of the Taleban in 2001, Denmark has supported Afghanistan with education and democratisation. In 2005, the Folketing approved 670 million DKK, to the rebuilding of Afghanistan.
High level visits
On 28 January 2006, the Afghan president Hamid Karzai visited Anders Fogh Rasmussen in Marienborg, the summer residence of the Danish Prime Minister. In September 2009, Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen visited Camp Bastion. On 23 June 2010, Danish Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen visited Afghanistan, where he met Hamid Karzai. On 10 January 2011, Afghan Foreign Minister Zalmai Rassoul visited Denmark, to discuss bilateral relations.
- "Afghan embassy in Oslo, Norway". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan. Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Oslo. Archived from the original on 3 February 2011. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Danish embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark. Archived from the original on 29 August 2010. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- Adrian Croft (12 August 2010). "Danish PM hopes troops to leave Afghanistan by 2015". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Afghanistan. Reuters. Retrieved 29 January 2011. External link in
- "US Department of State: Denmark". United States Department of State. Archived from the original on 2 February 2011. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- "Denmark strengthens long-term commitment to Afghanistan". The Free Library. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
I am very proud to be part of such an important decision of the Danish people to support Afghanistan. Given the long-lasting and friendly relations between Afghanistan and Denmark, Denmark's broad public and political support to assist Afghanistan means that we now have a new strategy for our engagement in Afghanistan for 2008-2012
- "Afghans in Denmark". Embassy of Afghanistan, Oslo, Norway. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- Anjuman-i Tārīkh-i Afghānistān (1967). Afghanistan. Historical Society of Afghanistan - University of Michigan. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Denmark and Afghanistan Agreement relating to air services (with annex and exchangeof notes). Signed at Kabul on 24 May 1967 (No.9951)" (PDF). United Nations Treaty Series. Retrieved 30 January 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Agreement on a Danish Government loan to Afghanistan (with annexes and exchange of letters).". United Nations Treaty Series. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- "Danske F-16 fly i to aktioner i Afghanistan" (in Danish). B.T. (tabloid). 11 February 2003. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Danske F-16 fly vender hjem fra Kirgistan (Danish flights returns from Kyrgyzstan)" (in Danish). Dagbladet Information. 24 June 2003. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- "The Danish Committee for Aid to Afghan Refugees (DACAAR)". The Danish Committee for Aid to Afghan Refugees. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Danish ambassador meets Karzai". Danish embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan. Archived from the original on 1 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
- "Denmark will extend support to Afghanistan". 16 June 2005. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Danmark i Afghanistan" (PDF) (in Danish). ISBN 978-87-7087-341-3. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
- "Afghanistan: Denmark Pledges $100m in Aid over Next 5 Years". The Gazette of Central Asia. Satrapia. 23 November 2012.
- "Besøg af Afghanistans Præsident Hamid Karzai (Visit of President Hamid Karzai)". Statsministeriet. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
- "Fogh som ørkenrotte i Afghanistan". Jyllandsposten. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
- "Prime Minister of Danmark visits Afghanistan". Embassy of Afghanistan in Oslo, Norway. 23 June 2010. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- "Development Cooperation". Embassy of Denmark in Kabul, Afghanistan. Retrieved 29 January 2011.