Type of site
|Public limited company in Ireland|
|Key people||Hal Lubsen, Ram Mohan, Roland LaPlante, Philipp Grabensee, Ken Stubbs, Jonathan Robinson, Steve Heflin, Scott Hemphill, Steven Pack, John Kane|
|Industry||Internet, Domain registry|
|Alexa rank||258,843 (August 2015[update])|
Afilias plc is the registry operator of the .info, .mobi and .pro top-level domain, service provider for registry operators of .org, .ngo, .lgbt, .asia, .aero, and a provider of domain name registry services for countries around the world, including .MN (Mongolia), .AG (Antigua and Barbuda), .BM (Bermuda), .BZ (Belize), .GI (Gibraltar), .IN (India), .ME (Montenegro), .SC (the Seychelles), and .VC (St. Vincent and the Grenadines). .AU (Australia) is in the process of transitioning from AusRegistry to Afilias as the backend registry operator, and will commence on July 1st 2018. Afilias also provided ancillary support to other domains, including .SG (Singapore) and .HN (Honduras).
Afilias was formed in October 2000 by a group of 19 major domain name registrars. Afilias CEO Hal Lubsen hired Ram Mohan as the CTO, Roland LaPlante as the CMO and Steven Pack as the Compliance Officer for the company in 2001.
In February 2010, Afilias acquired mTLD Top Level Domain Ltd., the sponsoring organization and registry operator for the .mobi top-level domain (known publicly as dotMobi). While dotMobi continues to operate as a wholly owned subsidiary, Afilias is now the registered Registry Operator for the .mobi domain.
In December 2012, Afilias acquired registryPro, the sponsoring organization and registry operator for the .pro top-level domain. While RegistryPro continues to operate as a wholly owned subsidiary, Afilias is now the registered Registry Operator for the .pro domain.
In October 2015, Afilias acquired domain name registrar 101domain, with the registrar's CEO Wolfgang Reile stepping down and its COO and CFO Anthony M. Beltran leading operations under Afilias.
In December 2017, Affilias was chosen by auDA to supply .au registry services from 1 July 2018. Affilias will open a Melbourne Australia branch to do this.
Afilias is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland with US offices near Philadelphia, sales offices in London, UK and Melbourne, Australia, an operations center in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and operational offices in New Delhi, India.
Mobile and web services
- "afilias.info Site Overview". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2015-08-10.
- "Afilias Chosen to Supply .au Registry Services". December 18, 2017.
- "GMO Internet Group History". October 3, 2000. Retrieved February 4, 2016.
- Portal, Presse (October 3, 2000). "World´s Leading Internet Domain Name Registrars Unite to Create Top Level Domain With Global Appeal". Press Relations Presse Portal. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- questia.com (October 29, 2001). "Afilias Appoints Chief Technical Officer to Run First "Thick" Domain Name Registry: .INFO; Former Infonautics executive oversees first global implementation of an XML-based "thick" registry system". The Free Library. Retrieved March 19, 2011.
- questia.com (July 9, 2001). "Afilias Appoints New Chief Marketing Officer to Build .INFO Brand Worldwide; Former McGraw Hill Exec. to Spearhead Brand & Marketing Strategy for .INFO". The Free Library. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- Hamilton, David (February 11, 2010). "Afilias Acquires .Mobi Domain Registry dotMobi". Web Host Industry Review. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- LaPlante, Roland (January 17, 2012). "Afilias Acquires Registry Services Corporation, .PRO". Circle ID. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Allemann, Andrew (October 16, 2015). "Afilias acquires 101Domain". Domain Name Wire.
- Silver, Elliot (October 16, 2015). "101domain Acquired by Afilias". DomainInvesting.com.
- "Afilias Chosen to Supply .au Registry Services". auDA. 18 Dec 2017. Retrieved 19 Dec 2017.