Afonso, Prince of Beira
|Infante Afonso de Santa Maria|
|Prince of Beira (more...)|
|Born||25 March 1996|
|Father||Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza|
|Mother||Isabel Inês Castro Curvello de Herédia|
|Portuguese royal family|
HH The Duke of Viseu
Dom Afonso de Santa Maria, Prince of Beira, Duke of Barcelos (born 25 March 1996) is the eldest son and heir of Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza, the current pretender to the defunct throne of Portugal. The first child of the Duke and Dª. Isabel Castro Curvello de Herédia, Afonso is first in the line of succession to the former Portuguese throne, behind his father.
Afonso de Santa Maria Miguel Gabriel Rafael was born in Lisbon, the eldest child of Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza, and Dª. Isabel Inês Castro Curvello de Herédia. As heir to his father, he bears the style Royal Highness, and title of Prince of Portugal. He is not however styled as an Infante of Portugal, as this title is traditionally reserved for the younger royal children, the result of a royal warrant issued in 1455 by Afonso V of Portugal, to celebrate the birth of the future John II.
On 1 June 1996, in the Cathedral of Braga, Afonso was baptised by Eurico Dias Nogueira, Archbishop of Braga, Primate of all the Spains. Since his birth he has been styled (16th) Prince of Beira and (18th) Duke of Barcelos. These are the titles traditionally reserved for the prince second in the line of succession to the throne.
His godparents are Princess Helene of Bourbon-Two Sicilies and his maternal uncle, Afonso Miguel de Herédia.
Immediately after his baptism at the Sé Cathedral of Braga, the young prince was consecrated in nearby Guimarães to Nossa Senhora da Oliveira, (Our Lady of the Olive Tree), where his ancestor John I (founder of the House of Aviz), along with his illegitimate son Afonso, Duke of Braganza (founder of the House of Braganza), had been to thank her for his victory at the battle of Aljubarrota, in 1385, against his niece Queen Beatrice of Portugal and her husband John I of Castile.
Afonso's education included a highly prestige, independent school in Carcavelos, St. Julian's School, Colégio Planalto and The Oratory School, a Catholic Public School in England. He is currently studying Political Science and International Relations at Universidade Católica Portuguesa at the Institute for Political Studies in Lisbon.
Charity and Causes
In August 2018 Afonso joined as an intern in the Social and Pre-Hospitalar Emergency Department, the Voluntary Fire Brigade of Lisbon, following in the foot steps of Afonso, Duke of Porto, who was Honorary Commander of the same brigade. The decision to join the fire brigade came after discussing Portugal's summer fires with his family and friends.
Links with Timor
Through his father links and connections to Timor, Afonso was made honorary Liurai in September 2014, when he and his family visited the country to attend the second Senate session of the Liurais Association, which represents the descendants of the island's tribal kings.
Titles, styles and honour
- 25 March 1996 – present: His Royal Highness Dom Afonso, The Prince of Beira, Duke of Barcelos
- Knight Grand Cross of Justice of the Castroan-Two Sicilian Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George (Castroan Royal Family of Two Sicilies)
|Ancestors of Afonso, Prince of Beira|
- "L'infant du Portugal est né", Point de Vue (3 au 10 avril, 1996): 9.
- "Le Portugal baptise l'héritier de la couronne", Point de Vue (5 au 11 juin, 1996): 12-15.
- Ferreira, Marta Leite. "D. Afonso de Bragança está a estagiar num quartel, mas para já não pode combater fogos". Observador (in Portuguese). Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Afonso, filho dos duques de Bragança, investido 'liurai' numa visita a Timor". Caras. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- As the heir-apparent to his father, Prince Afonso holds two titles, but for different charges. As the son and heir-apparent of the Prince Royal of Portugal, Afonso holds the title of Prince of Beira, but not the title of Infante of Portugal, which is held only by princes of the Portuguese royal house who are not heirs-apparent. As the son and heir-apparent to the Duke of Braganza, Prince Afonso holds the title of Duke of Barcelos
- "ORDEM DE MALTA: Dom Duarte de Bragança consagra filho Dom Afonso a Nossa Senhora da Lapa". ORDEM DE MALTA. 27 September 2015. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
Afonso, Prince of Beira
Cadet branch of the House of AvizBorn: 25 March 1996
|Titles in pretence|
| Prince of Beira
Duke of Barcelos
25 March 1996