Afonso, Prince of Beira
|Afonso de Santa Maria|
|Prince of Beira (more...)|
25 March 1996 |
|Father||Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza|
|Mother||Isabel Inês Castro Curvelo de Herédia|
Dom Afonso de Santa Maria, Prince of Beira, Duke of Barcelos (born 25 March 1996) is the eldest son and heir of Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza, the current pretender to the defunct throne of Portugal, and thus a member of the Portuguese Royal Family. The first child of the Duke and Isabel Castro Curvelo de Herédia, the Prince is first in the Line of succession to the former Portuguese throne, behind his father.
Afonso de Santa Maria Miguel Gabriel Rafael was born in Lisbon, the eldest child of Duarte Pio, Duke of Braganza, and Isabel Inês Castro Curvelo de Herédia. As heir to his father, he bears the style Royal Highness, and title of Prince of Portugal. He is not however styled as an Infante of Portugal, as this title is traditionally reserved for the younger royal children, the result of a royal warrant issued in 1455 by Afonso V of Portugal, to celebrate the birth of the future John II.
On 1 June 1996, in the Cathedral of Braga, Afonso was baptised by Eurico Dias Nogueira, Archbishop of Braga, Primate of all the Spains. Since his birth he has been styled (16th) Prince of Beira and (18th) Duke of Barcelos. These are the titles traditionally reserved for the prince second in the line of succession to the throne.
His godparents are Princess Helene of Bourbon-Two Sicilies and his maternal uncle, Afonso Miguel de Herédia.
|Portuguese royal family|
Immediately after his baptism at the Sé Cathedral of Braga, the young prince was consecrated in nearby Guimarães to Nossa Senhora da Oliveira, (Our Lady of the Olive Tree), where his ancestor John I (founder of the House of Aviz), along with his illegitimate son Afonso, Duke of Braganza (founder of the House of Braganza), had been to thank her for his victory at the battle of Aljubarrota, in 1385, against his niece Queen Beatrice of Portugal and her husband John I of Castile.
Prince Afonso's education includes The Oratory School, a Catholic Public School in England.
Titles, styles and honour
Don Afonso, The Prince of Beira, Duke of Barcelos
|Reference style||His Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
- 25 March 1996 – Present: His Royal Highness Dom Afonso, The Prince of Beira, Duke of Barcelos
- Castroan Royal Family of Two Sicilies: Knight Grand Cross of Justice of the Castroan-Two Sicilian Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
|Ancestors of Afonso, Prince of Beira|
- "L'infant du Portugal est né", Point de Vue (3 au 10 avril, 1996): 9.
- "Le Portugal baptise l'héritier de la couronne", Point de Vue (5 au 11 juin, 1996): 12-15.
- As the heir-apparent to his father, Prince Afonso holds two titles, but for different charges. As the son and heir-apparent of the Prince Royal of Portugal, Afonso holds the title of Prince of Beira, but not the title of Infante of Portugal, which is held only by princes of the Portuguese royal house who are not heirs-apparent. As the son and heir-apparent to the Duke of Braganza, Prince Afonso holds the title of Duke of Barcelos
Afonso, Prince of Beira
Cadet branch of the House of AvizBorn: 25 March 1996
|Titles in pretence|
|Prince of Beira
Duke of Barcelos
25 March 1996