African Confederation of Co-operative Savings and Credit Associations
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The African Confederation of Co-operative Savings and Credit Associations (ACCOSCA) is a non governmental co-operative confederation representing SACCOs in Africa. It operates as a non-government, non-political and Pan-African Confederation of National Associations for Savings and Credit Co-operative Movement with the Secretariat based in Nairobi, Kenya.
ACCOSCA was formed in 1968, by representatives of African National Association of Saving and Credit Unions together with other African Co-operative leaders. Its origin stems from the need to promote co-operative movements by African Government and subsequently promote economic growth of countries in Africa through SACCOs.
It partners with the World Council of Credit Unions to foster the development of African credit unions through the Africa Revitalization Program. The organization has a department dedicated to increasing access to credit for rural women.
ACCOSCA disbanded in 2001 following four years of inactivity. It was agreed by the members Under the Malawi declaration to revive ACCOSCA, the managing director of KUSCCO at that time was appointed interim CEO.
The General assembly is the highest organ of the organization. For efficiency, the member countries are classified into 3 blocks that include:
- Western block: Democratic Republic of Congo,Senegal,Malawi,Gambia,Togo,Nigeria,Ghana,Liberia,Burkina Faso,Cote D'Ivoire,Cameroon,Benin.
- Eastern Block: Kenya,Uganda,Tanzania,Seychelles,Ethiopia,Rwanda.
- Southern Block: South Africa,Namibia,Swaziland,Madagascar,Mauritius,Lesotho,Botswana.
For effective coordination, each block is represented by two directors in the national apex bodies of the countries they represent.
Membership applies to National organisations (leagues, Associations, Unions, Federation, Promotion Committees) of co-operative savings and credit cooperatives,which operate in or are based on the continent of Africa or any of the off shore islands and which are recognised by the government in their respective countries as being the organisation representing Saving and Credit Co-operatives in that Country.
Members with Apex bodies
- Ghana Co-operative Credit Unions Association (CUA)
- Savings and Credit Co-operative League of South Africa (SACCOL)
- Kenya Union Of Savings and Credit Co-operatives (KUSCCO)
- National Association of Cooperative Credit Unions of The Gambia (NACCUG)
- Cameroon Cooperative Credit Union League (CAMCCUL)
- Uganda Cooperative Savings and Credit Union (UCSCU)
- Fédération des Caisses d'Epargne et de Crédit Agricole Mutuel (FECECAM) Benin
- Botswana Savings and Credit Association (BOSCCA)
- Mauritius Cooperative Savings And Credit League (MACOSCLE)
- National Association of Cooperative Credit Unions Of Nigeria (NACCUN)
- Co-operative Federation of Nigeria (CFN)
- Seychelles Credit Union (SCU)
- Swaziland Association of Savings and Credit Co-operatives (SASSCO)
- Credit Union and Savings Of Zambia (CUSA Zambia)
- National Association of Cooperative Savings and Credit Unions (NACSCUZ-Zimbabwe)
- Savings and Credit Cooperative Union League Of Tanzania (SCCULT)
- Lesotho Cooperative Credit Union League Limited (LCCUL)
- National Savings and Credit Cooperative League Of Sierra Leone (NASCCLOS)
- Liberia Credit Union National Association Limited (LCUNA)
- Union des Cooperatives d’Epargne et de Credit Burkinabe (UCECB)
- Association Nationales Des Crep Et Coopec de Cote d’Ivoire (ANAC-CI)
- Union des Cooperatives Centrales d’Epargne et de Credit au Republique Democratique du Congo (UCCEC)
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2012)|
It is an Annual Savings and Credit Co- operative Association of Africa meeting that brings together board members of SACCOs and various stakeholders across Africa to deliberate on issue affecting the SACCOs. The name SACCA has alternated with African SACCO Technical Congress which is hosted by a member country selected by the delegates. Over the years this event has been organised by ACCOSCA in collaboration with host governments and development partners World Council of Credit Unions, Canadian Co-operative Association, Irish League of Credit Unions.
SACCO Leaders Forum
This is an annual meeting that brings together SACCO leaders from Africa,academicians, government officials researchers and the international community thus creating an avenue for information sharing and networking.
SACCO Women Forum
An annual meeting of women that hold management positions in Sacco's across Africa. This forum serves as a unique professional development opportunity where officials from North America share their expertise in key operational areas. Participants also get an opportunity to brainstorm on contemporary approaches to human resource management, as well as product development methods. Women also get to share and form solutions to problems facing them in the work place.
Services and Publications
- Morton, Millie (Fall–Winter 1997). "SD Helps Revitalize Credit Unions in Africa" (PDF). SD Developments. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- Report of the Workshop on Fishery Credit Development for Eastern and Southern Africa: Harare, Zimbabwe, 15–19 November 1993. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Fishery Industries Division. 1993. p. 33. ISBN 978-92-5-103560-3.
- "Pan-Africa CU Trade Group Disbands As Funds Lacking.". Credit Union Journal. 15 January 2001. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- Kimutai, Fidelis (22 May 2009). "ADDRESS BY THE KUSCCO NATIONAL CHAIRMAN MR. FIDELIS KIMUTAI ON THE OCCASION OF THE 22nd KUSCCO ANNUAL DELEGATES MEETING HELD ON FRIDAY, 22nd MAY 2009 AT KUSCCO CENTRE, NAIROBI". Kenya Union of Savings & Credit Co-operatives. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- International year of cooperatives "13th annual SACCA congress" [permanent dead link] retrieved 1 April 2012
- Swaziland association of credit and savings association, report – 2010 annual savings and credit cooperative association of Africa [permanent dead link] retrieved 12 March 2012
- Development Partner involvement in Congress, Chairman’s Report - SACCOL AGM 2009 "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 27 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-20. Retrieved on 20 July 2010
- The 2008 African SACCO Technical Congress. Retrieved 20 July 2010
- WOCCU Hosts Fifth SACCA Africa Congress,http://www.woccu.org/newsroom/releases?id=732 20 October 2004
- 12th annual SACCA congress "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-03. Retrieved on 20 July 2010
- Ms Dorcas Makagato-Maleso "cooperatives are governments agenda" Daily- News "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-03. retrieved 30 March 2012
- 12th Sacco leaders’ forum http://rca.gov.rw/spip.php?article87>
- Nascent Kenya "youth (ex)clusion and cooperatives in Africa" http://nascent-rdo.org/moodle/index.php retrieved 9 March 2012
- Ombado, G; (October, 2011) Nuts and bolts of Building a sustainable and inclusive CFI movement http://www.treasury.gov.za/coopbank/Conferences/CFI%20Indaba%2019%20-%2021%20October%202011/The%20Nuts%20and%20Bolts%20of%20Building%20a%20Sustainable%20and%20Inclusive%20CFI%20Movement.pdf