African Mathematical Union
The African Mathematical Union or Union Mathematique Africaine is an African organization dedicated to the development of mathematics in Africa. It was founded in 1976 in Rabat, Morocco, during the first Pan-African Congress of Mathematicians with Henri Hogbe Nlend as its first President. Another key figure in its early years was George Saitoti, later a prominent Kenyan politician.
Its mission is twofold:
- To coordinate and promote the quality of teaching, research and outreach activities in all areas of activities in all areas of mathematics throughout Africa.
- To advance mathematical research and education towards the economic, social and cultural development of the continent.
The Union is composed of five Commissions:
- AMU-CAWM. Commission on Women in Mathematics in Africa, led by Marie Françoise Ouedraogo since 2009.
- AMU-CMEA. Commission on Mathematics Education in Africa.
- AMU-CHMA. Commission on the History of Mathematics in Africa.
- AMU-CRIMS. Commission for Research and Innovations.
- AMU-PAMOC. Pan African Mathematics Olympiads Comission.
The deputy editors of the journal are:
- Moussa Ouattara, University of Ouagadougou, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- Daniel Makinde, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa.
And, the members of the advisory committee are:
- Aderemi Kuku, Grambling State University, Grambling, USA
- Laurent Lafforgue, Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques, Bures-sur-Yvette, France
- Ari Laptev, Imperial College, London, UK
- Claudio Procesi, University of Rome 'La Sapienza', Rome, Italy
- Michel Waldschmidt, Pierre and Marie Curie University, Paris, France
- Bishop, Alan J.; Ken Clements; Christine Keitel (1997). International handbook of mathematics education. Springer. p. 1245. ISBN 978-0-7923-3533-7.
- "AFRICAN WOMEN IN MATHEMATICS ASSOCIATION (AWMA)". Committee for Women in Mathematics. Archived from the original on 2016-11-04. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Afrika Matematica, The First Pan-African Mathematical Journal". African Mathematical Union. Retrieved 29 March 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-18. Retrieved 2010-10-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)