|Headquarters||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Products||ADSL, Broadband Services, Web Hosting, Internet Peripherals|
The company was established in 2000 by CEO Gian Visser, Brendan Armstrong and Peter Meintjes, who were later joined by Greg Payne (former COO of Internet Solutions). Originally a web hosting and general IT services company, Afrihost joined the broadband market in 2009. They have since been joined by Angus MacRobert, former CEO of Internet Solutions and joint CEO of Vox Telecom. Dean Suchard, formerly CFO of Dimension Data, joined the board as Financial Director in 2016.
In 2012, the company made the decision to move their broadband ADSL services from Internet Solutions to MTN Group. After months of negotiation, the deal was finalised in July/August 2012, and their entire client base (as well as Axxess's) was transferred to the new network on 16 October 2012.
In 2015, Afrihost experienced a major network outage and received a suspended fine of R50,000 in October 2015 from the ISPA for a complaint relating to the company's ability to provide advertised services. This decision was appealed in June 2016 and Afrihost was fined R30,000 in addition to the suspended R50,000 fine for using "exaggeration, innuendo or ambiguity" in its advertisements.
In response, Afrihost launched a pilot project with a limited pool of users to develop their own independent national broadband network, in partnership with Echo SP and Three6Five. Their entire customer-base was migrated to the new network in October of the same year.
- "Digging into MTN's R408m Afrihost deal". Moneyeb.co.za. 2015-08-15. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "MTN takes control of Afrihost". Fin24.com. 2014-06-03. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "Afrihost Mobile Data review: an answer to #DataMustFall?". Memeburn.com. 2017-10-03. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "Afrihost announces 200Mbps product range". Memeburn.com. 2017-07-05. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "These companies won big at the 2017 PriceCheck Awards". Memeburn.com. 2017-09-15. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "Your favourite internet suppliers are…". Citizen.co.za. 2017-01-13. Retrieved 2017-10-29.
- "Visser, Ramuthaga win IT Personality, Visionary CIO". Itweb.co.za. 2014-11-06. Retrieved 2017-10-29.
- "Q&A with Afrihost CEO Gian Visser". TechCentral. 2010-03-23. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "2017 MyBroadband Conference in photos". MyBroadband.com. 2017-10-27. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "Vox to focus on strategy". ITWeb.co.za. 2011-07-15. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
- "Internet Software and Services Company Overview of Afrihost (Pty) Ltd". Bloomberg.com. 2017-10-27. Retrieved 2017-10-27.
- "MTN sells out of Afrihost". Iol.co.za. 2016-06-26. Retrieved 2017-10-29.
- "Afrihost's big ADSL move". Mybroadband.co.za. 2012-10-10. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Major Afrihost ADSL outage". Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- "Afrihost fined for ADSL network problems". Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- Vermeulen, Jan (14 June 2016). "Afrihost must pay fine for ADSL network problems". mybroadband. Retrieved 2017-07-06.
- Staff Writer (2015-07-29). "Afrhost New ADSL network tested". MyBroadband. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- Staff Writer (2015-11-11). "Here is what Afrihost's impressive new ADSL network looks like". MyBroadband. Retrieved 2015-11-11.
- Duncan McLeod (2015-10-09). "Afrihost moving DSL clients to new network". TechCentral. Retrieved 2015-10-09.