African immigrants to Greece
|Greek, Niger–Congo languages|
|predominantly Christianity; minority Islam|
|Related ethnic groups|
Some families of African descent, who came to Greece as African slaves in the times of the Ottoman Empire, still live in the village of Avato and are Sunni Muslims. Some of them lived before the Population exchange between Greece and Turkey also on the island of Crete.
A number of African immigrants arrived in Greece in 1997. However, most came during the 2000s. The majority of the immigrants migrated from Biafra, Nigeria and Senegal. Some of them also come from Congo, Zambia and Angola. Most live in the Patissia and Kypseli area in Athens. Some African immigrants and Greek citizens with ancestry from Africa report being the victim of racist harassment and assaults from suspected far-right Greek Golden Dawn party members.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo - NBA professional basketball player
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo - professional basketball player
- Daniel Batista Lima – soccer player
- Nestoras Kommatos – professional basketball player
- Sofoklis Schortsanitis – professional basketball player
- Isaias Matiaba – singer
- Nery Mantey Niangkouara – former swimmer
- Tyler Dorsey – American-Greek NBA basketball player
- Kenya-Crète-Istanbul: Biographie d'une famille d'esclaves, Paris, Librairie Özgül, 2006 ISBN 978-2-910901-02-8
- Main ethnic groups of immigrants in Greece