|Studio album by AfroCubism|
|Released||November 2, 2010|
|Studio||Sonoland Studios, Madrid, Spain|
|Genre||Son cubano, Mande music|
Concept and recording
The album was recorded for the World Circuit label by producer Nick Gold and engineer Jerry Boys at Sonoland Studios, Madrid, Spain in 2010. Mixing and mastering was done at Livingston Studios, London & FB Music and Media, Fareham.
The idea behind AfroCubism was the original concept for the Buena Vista Social Club album of 1997 which featured many of the same Cuban musicians. This original concept however, was thwarted when the Cuban visas for the Malian musicians were delayed in the post and producer Nick Gold instead called on the services of Ry Cooder whom he had recorded with Ali Farka Touré for the 1994 World Circuit release, Talking Timbuktu. The album captures the rhythmic and melodic patterns which are common to traditional West African and Afro-Cuban music. The musicians involved in AfroCubism already had successful careers through participation in the Buena Vista Social Club or as solo artists. The project has subsequently toured around the world as a successful live show.
- Mali Cuba
- Al vaivén de mi carreta
- Djelimady Rumba
- La culebra
- Eliades tumbao 27
- Nima diyala
- A la luna yo me voy
- Para los pinares se va Montoro
- Cuban musicians
- Eliades Ochoa - guitar, vocals
- José Ángel Martínez - double bass
- Jorge Maturell - congas, bongos, cowbell
- Onsel Odit - chorus, rhythm guitar
- Eglis Ochoa - maracas, guiro, chorus
- Malian musicians
- Toumani Diabaté - kora
- Bassekou Kouyate - ngoni
- Kasse Mady Diabaté - vocals
- Djelimady Tounkara - guitars
- Fode Lassana Diabaté (originally from Guinea) - balafon
- Baba Sissoko - talking drum
- Festival d'été de Quebec, Prix Miroir, 2011, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-01-01. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- Songlines Cross Collaboration award, 2011, "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-23. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- Nominated for Best world Music Grammy, 2011, http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/grammy-nominations-ry-cooder-emmylou-harris-pat-metheny-chris-thile-michael-daves-afrocubism-2011-12-01
- AfroCubism: AfroCubism – review | Music | The Guardian
- AfroCubism, CD review - Telegraph
- AfroCubism: Buena Vista take two | Music | The Guardian
- AfroCubism Emerges at Last - - Music - New York - Village Voice
- BBC - Music - Review of AfroCubism - AfroCubism
- AfroCubism – review | Music | The Guardian
- Allen, James. "AfroCubism". AllMusic. Rovi. Retrieved June 21, 2015.