War Is A Crime.org
WarIsACrime.org (originally AfterDowningStreet until May 2010, in apparent reference to the Downing Street memo) is an organization that describes itself as "a coalition working to expose the lies that launched the war and to hold accountable its architects, including through censure and impeachment". It was launched in May 2005, when co-founder John Bonifaz sent a memo to Congressman John Conyers calling for impeachment. Its other co-founders are Steve Cobble, Bob Fertik, Tim Carpenter and David Swanson.
Members of the coalition include:
- Big Brass Alliance (external link)
- Code Pink
- Democrats.com (external link)
- Global Exchange
- Gold Star Families for Peace
- Iraq Veterans Against the War
- Military Families Against the War (UK)
- Progressive Democrats of America
- U.S. Tour of Duty: Iraq Veterans and Military Families Demand the Truth (external link)
- Velvet Revolution (United States) (external link)
- Veterans for Peace
John Nichols named AfterDowningStreet as "The Most Valuable Progressive 2005 — Watchdog Branch", writing:
... the real work of exposing the misdeeds of the administration is still being done by activist groups. And the most inspired of these in 2005 was AfterDowningStreet... In conjunction with Progressive Democrats of America, the able activist group that seeks to create an actual opposition party in America, AfterDowningStreet is pushing the political envelope in exactly the direction it needs to go.
- "About WarIsACrime.org". WarIsACrime.org. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- "After Downing Street Co-Founders". WarIsACrime.org. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- ”downing” (26 May 2005). "Bonifaz Memo to Conyers". WarIsACrime.org. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- ”downing” (7 Jun 2005). "Coalition Members". WarIsACrime.org. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- Nichols, John (27 Dec 2005). "The Most Valuable Progressives of 2005". The Nation. Katrina vanden Heuvel. Retrieved 3 Sep 2011.
- official website
- Shakesville: Big Brass Alliance (blog entry about the formation of Big Brass Alliance and its intention to support AfterDowningStreet)
- CBS News: The I-Word is Gaining Ground
- Coastal Post: New Zogby Poll Shows Majority of Americans Support Impeaching Bush for Wiretapping by submission
- San Francisco Bay Guardian Online: The impeachment issue
|This article related to the politics of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|