After the Rehearsal
|After the Rehearsal|
|Directed by||Ingmar Bergman|
|Produced by||Jörn Donner|
|Written by||Ingmar Bergman|
|9 April 1984|
After the Rehearsal (Swedish: Efter repetitionen) is a television film, written and directed by Ingmar Bergman in 1984. The script contains numerous quotes from Strindberg's A Dream Play. The film was screened out of competition at the 1984 Cannes Film Festival.
Rational, exacting, and self-controlled theater director, Henrik Vogler, often stays after rehearsal to think and plan. On this day, Anna comes back, ostensibly looking for a bracelet. She is the lead in his new production of Strindberg's A Dream Play. She talks of her hatred for her mother (now dead), an alcoholic actress who was Vogler's star and lover. Vogler falls into a reverie, remembering a day Anna's mother, Rakel, late in life, came after rehearsal to beg him to come to her apartment. He awakes and Anna reveals the reason she has returned: she jolts him into an emotional response, rare for him, and the feelings of a young woman and an older man play out.
- Erland Josephson – Henrik Vogler (older)
- Ingrid Thulin – Rakel Egerman
- Lena Olin – Anna Egerman (older)
- Nadja Palmstjerna-Weiss – Anna Egerman (younger)
- Bertil Guve – Henrik Vogler (younger)
(Tartan DVD release of this film erroneously lists "Liv Ullmann" as one of the three main stars. Ullmann is not in this film)
After the Rehearsal received strongly positive reviews from critics, garnering a 91% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Vincent Canby wrote that it "may well be another Bergman classic." Roger Ebert gave it a full four stars and argued that the work "consists of unadorned surfaces concealing fathomless depths."
- "Festival de Cannes: After the Rehearsal". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 25 June 2009.
- "After the Rehearsal (1984)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- Canby, Vincent (June 21, 1984). "Screen: Ingmar Bergman's 'After the Rehearsal'". The New York Times. Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- Ebert, Roger (January 1, 1984). "After the Rehearsal Movie Review & Film Summary (1984)". Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- After the Rehearsal on IMDb
- After the Rehearsal at the Swedish Film Institute Database
- "After the Rehearsal": an interpretation at the Cinemaven blog.
|This article related to Swedish film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|