|Elevation||1,362 ft (415 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1499043|
Afton is an unincorporated community in Albemarle and Nelson counties in the U.S. state of Virginia. It is located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains about 20 miles (32 km) west of Charlottesville.
Afton is home to Veritas Vineyard and Winery, the Blue Mountain Brewery and Cardinal Point Vineyard & Winery, producer of IPC, the world's first hopped chardonnay.
- Paul F. Gorman, former Commander in Chief of the United States Southern Command
- Rita Mae Brown, novelist, poet, screenwriter, activist
- June Curry, benefactor to bicyclists on the Transamerica Trail
- Mary Chapin Carpenter, songwriter, musician
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Afton, Virginia. Retrieved on 2008-05-10.
- "Afton VA". ZIP Code Lookup. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- Gale, Kira (2006). Lewis and Clark Road Trips: Exploring the Trail Across America. River Junction Press. p. 13. ISBN 0-9649315-2-4.
- Edwards, Greg (October 10, 2005). "Small wineries being squeezed?". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Archived from the original on 11 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
- Rita Mae Brown says trust yourself first - Daily Press Retrieved 2018-05-08.
- Mary Chapin Carpenter's House in Afton, VA (Google Maps) Retrieved 2018-05-08.
|This Nelson County, Virginia state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|