Type of site
|Country of origin||Ghana|
|Industry||Music, Podcasts, Radio and Videos|
|Alexa rank||1,022 (April 2019[update])|
|Launched||October 21, 2016|
|Native client(s) on||Web, Android, iOS|
|Written in||PHP, React Native|
Aftown as a company consists of two main platforms: streaming and downloads. The aftown app is free and generates revenue through premium subscriptions and advertisement from free users.
It is currently the top indigenous music streaming and download site in West Africa.
In September 2016, the technation team had a collaboration with M.anifest to release his album "No Where Cool " album on 15ghana.com an eCommerce website. The album upon release sold over a thousand copies all over the country within a week. The sale of M.anifest's album presented several challenges especially in regard to delivery since the project involved the sale CDs. These challenges and the overall success of the project led the technation gh team to come up with the idea for aftown coined from the words Africa and Town.
In October, 2016 aftown was officially launched. Upon its launch aftownmusic had its first major sales from Sonnie Badu's album "Soundz Of Afrika". Aftown went on to sell albums from top Ghanaian artists like Sarkodie, MzVee, Akan, M.anifest , Joe Mettle, EL, Stonebwoy, Okyeame Kwame, Adomaa, Teephlow.
Aftown generated about GHC 80 000 in artist revenue in its first year.
The transition from 15ghana to aftown was a positive one, however there were still challenges present that had to be addressed hence the inception of aftownmusic. Due to feedback from aftown users, a streaming platform was introduced in June 2017. This was done in partnership with TIC Ghana and BBnZ. aftownmusic's first big project was with Akan's album "Onipa Akoma" which was a huge success .
Aftownmusic is a free music streaming platform. Revenue is generated from premium subscriptions and advertisements for free users. Aftown encourages users to support indigenous artists by avoiding piracy and streaming local content .Artistes gain revenue from their total play counts.
Accounts And Subscriptions
|Type||ads||Videos||Offline Download||Ability To Create Playlist||Library||radio|
|Aftown for Free||Yes||No||No||No||No||No|
The free accounts in aftownmusic have perpetual existence, however users can move to premium at any time. The duration for premium accounts vary and users can choose between daily, weekly, monthly and yearly packages.
The payment methods available on aftownmusic include Mobile Money (available on all Ghanaian network providers), Credit/Debit Cards, and MTN Mobile Airtime.
aftown For Artists
In June 2018, in their bid to garner as many artists as possible aftownmusic introduced an artists.aftown.com, letting artists and their managers submit their music and update their profiles seamlessly from anywhere in the world. Aftown for artists also provides development packages for artists to enhance their image.
In celebration of its 3rd year on the Ghanaian music scene aftownmusic hosted a week long celebration which consisted of a wide array of activities for its clients both artists and music lovers .This was topped of with a music concert at alliance francaise . Some of the events created
Aftownmusic has hosted several workshops with musicians all over the country in a bid to educate them about branding and revenue making streams. Aftown has also worked with several local artists to produce EPs and concerts.
This is a system adopted by aftown to allow bloggers and promoters make some money. This allows bloggers and anyone place a special link to their web pages that redirects to aftown's digital shop. When a purchase is made via this unique link the bloggers get a cut of each sale.
Currently, aftownmusic has a music show on DGN TV. The aftownshow plays a chart of the top 10 most streamed songs on aftownmusic. There is also the listening session, where guests are invited to listen to random songs and give their comments. Mainstream and upcoming artists are invited for an interview to talk about their works and themselves.Unfortunately the aftown show was cancelled and replaced with a brand new show dubbed aftown BUZZ!
aftownBUZZ! TV Show
aftownBUZZ is a show on DGN which brings you the best of news and insights from the entertainment industry .
In January 2019, MTN Ghana invited aftownmusic to its 3rd MTN digital Music Conference  to help local artists monetize their music. Aftown was introduced to artists as a platform for revenue generation. The event was held in 3 major cities in Ghana.
In February of the same year, aftownmusic in collaboration with MTN Ghana introduced an alternative payment method for MTN subscribers. MTN subscribers can choose to pay using their MTN airtime at a subsidized price.
aftown For Brands
Aftown for brands seeks to create an avenue for brands and businesses to advertise their products and services to its users. The ads are only visible to free users. The ads presented on aftownmusic are in the form of audio and pictures. Aftown for brands also offers artist promotion packages for artists to promote their works across the platform.
- "aftown.com Traffic, Demographics and Competitors - Alexa". alexa.com. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "aftown! Ghana's streaming service for African Music!". Proudly Ghanaian! | Enews. 2017-09-01. Retrieved 2019-04-05.
- "M.anifest grateful for support over "industrious project yet" 'Nowhere Cool'". enewsgh. September 17, 2016.
- "M.ANIFEST AUTOGRAPHS #NOWHERECOOL CDS AHEAD OF LAUNCH TOMORROW". livefmghana.com. September 7, 2016.
- "15GHANA REVOLUTIONIZES THE GHANA MUSIC SCENE WITH M.ANIFEST'S "NO WHERE COOL"". blog.15ghana.com. Sep 26, 2016.
- "Adomaa Partners Aftown For The Release First EP Off 'Adomaa Vs Adomaa' On Sept. 8".
- "aftown now available for FREE".
- "aftown plans".
- "Musicians 'Rake' More Cash On Aftown". Proudly Ghanaian! | Enews. 2017-09-01. Retrieved 2019-04-05.
- Unknown. "DarkoVibes Was Aftown Most Streamed Artiste in 2018". MOTIONHYPEGH.NET. Retrieved 2019-04-05.
- "Musicians, industry players urged to embrace digital music space". graphicbusinessonline.com. 22 January 2019.
- "aftown to commence quarterly music workshops". Proudly Ghanaian! | Enews. 2018-06-19. Retrieved 2019-04-05.
- "aftown referral program".
- "CHECK OUT Ujean Allday's Interview on The Aftown Show'". youtube.
- Editor, Emmanuel Ajarfor Abugri Deputy (2019-02-13). "MTN, Aftown Launch Music App To Generate Cash for Artistes". Modern Ghana. Retrieved 2019-04-05.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "MTN Partners aftown: A Better Streaming Experience for Ghanaian Music Lovers". gharage.com.
- "Aftown music patners with Mtnghana to make payments for music streaming easy".
- "aftown partners with MTN".
- "Ghanaian music is profitable - aftown Head of Tech".
- "Okyeame Kwame endorses aftown music app".
- "Introducing aftown for brands".
- "aftownmusic now on iOS".