Again (Alice in Chains song)
|Single by Alice in Chains|
|from the album Alice in Chains|
|Released||July 2, 1996|
|Recorded||April – August 1995 at Bad Animals Studio in Seattle, Washington|
|Writer(s)||Lyrics: Layne Staley
Music: Jerry Cantrell
|Alice in Chains singles chronology|
"Again" is a song by Alice in Chains, released on their album Alice in Chains (1995). The song was included on the compilation albums Nothing Safe: Best of the Box (1999), Greatest Hits (2001), and The Essential Alice in Chains (2006). A remixed version of the song was included on the box set Music Bank (1999).
Release and reception
"Again" was released as a single in 1996. "Again" peaked at number eight on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and at number 36 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. The song was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance in 1997.
This guy, Praga Kahn, did three different mixes. One I didn't like, the second one (Trip hop Mix) had horns and strings without too many guitars or drums, which I kinda liked. Then there was [the "Tattoo of Pain Mix"], which was cool too. We put a couple out as "B" sides in Europe. Personally, I never got used to the idea that you had to give some places extra songs and not others, it should be the same for everybody as far as I'm concerned.
The music video for "Again" was released in 1996 and was co-directed by George Vale and vocalist Layne Staley. The music video was nominated for Best Hard Rock Video at the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards. The video is available on the home video release Music Bank: The Videos and is the final Alice in Chains music video that Layne Staley filmed with the band (future videos featured only archived footage of the singer).
"Again" has been known to be performed with vocalist Layne Staley three times collectively: Once on the Late Show with David Letterman in 1996, during all of the shows when Alice in Chains was opening up for the reunited Kiss in the beginning of July 1996, and also on a show called Saturday Night Special in 1996. Since reuniting with new vocalist William Duvall, "Again" has become a regular part of the band's setlist. A live performance of "Again" can be found on the live album Live.
- "Again" (LP version) (4:05) on Alice in Chains
- "Again" (Trip Hop Mix) (4:38) on EP Japan release SRCS 8248
- "Again" (Tattoo of Pain Mix) (4:03) on Alice in Chains, Japan release SRCS 8192, also on the UK 2-track promo CD release SAMPCD3327
- "Again" (Jungle Mix) (4:08) on Alice in Chains, Japan release SRCS 8192, (Club Mix) on the UK 2-track promo CD release SAMPCD3327
- Layne Staley – lead vocals
- Jerry Cantrell – guitars, vocals
- Mike Inez – bass, vocals
- Sean Kinney – drums, percussion
|US Mainstream Rock Tracks||8|
|US Modern Rock Tracks||36|
- "39th Grammy Awards – 1997". Rockonthenet.com. Archived from the original on December 28, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-08.
- Liner notes, Music Bank box set. 1999.
- "1996 MTV Video Music Awards". Rockonthenet.com. Archived from the original on December 7, 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-08.
- "Artist Chart History – Alice in Chains". Billboard charts. Retrieved 2008-02-14.