Against the Wind (album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
|Against the Wind|
|Studio album by Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band|
|Released||February 25, 1980|
|Producer||Punch Andrews, Steve Melton,
Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, Bob Seger, Bill Szymczyk
|Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band chronology|
|Singles from Against the Wind|
Against the Wind is the eleventh studio album by American rock singer Bob Seger and his third with The Silver Bullet Band. It was released in 1980 (see 1980 in music). It is Seger's only number-one album to date, spending six weeks at the top of the Billboard Top LPs chart, knocking Pink Floyd's massive-selling The Wall from the top spot. The album also earned two Grammy Awards.
All songs written and composed by Bob Seger.
|1.||"The Horizontal Bop"||4:03|
|2.||"You'll Accomp'ny Me"||4:00|
|4.||"No Man's Land"||3:43|
|5.||"Long Twin Silver Line"||4:18|
|6.||"Against the Wind"||5:34|
|7.||"Good for Me"||4:03|
|8.||"Betty Lou's Gettin' Out Tonight"||2:52|
The Silver Bullet Band perform on tracks 1-3, 6 & 8
The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section perform on tracks 4, 5, 7, 9 & 10
- The Silver Bullet Band
- Bob Seger – guitar, vocals, background vocals
- Drew Abbott – guitar
- Alto Reed – horn, saxophone
- Chris Campbell – bass
- David Teegarden – percussion, drums
- The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section
- Barry Beckett – piano, keyboard
- Randy McCormick – organ, keyboard
- Pete Carr – guitar
- Jimmy Johnson – guitar, horn
- David Hood – bass
- Roger Hawkins – percussion, drums
- Additional Musicians
- Bill Payne – organ, synthesizer, piano on "You'll Accomp'ny Me"
- Dr. John – keyboard on "Horizontal Bop"
- Paul Harris – organ and piano on "Against the Wind" and piano on "Betty Lou's Getting Out Tonight"
- Doug Riley – synthesizer on "No Man's Land"
- Sam Clayton – percussion on "You'll Accomp'ny Me"
- Backing harmony vocals on "Fire Lake"
- Backing harmony vocals on "Against the Wind"
- Backing Vocals on "You'll Accomp'ny Me" "Good For Me" and "Shinin' Brightly"
- Ginger Blake
- Laura Creamer
- Linda Dillard
- Producers: Punch Andrews, Steve Melton, Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, Bob Seger, Bill Szymczyk
- Engineers: John Arrias, Steve Melton, Bill Szymczyk
- Mixing: Punch Andrews, John Arrias, Steve Melton, Muscle Shoals Sound Rhythm Section, Bob Seger, Bill Szymczyk
- Mastering: Wally Traugott
- Remastering: Robert Vosgien
- Art direction: Roy Kohara
- Photography: Tom Bert
- Paintings: Jim Warren
Album – Billboard (North America)
Singles – Billboard (North America)
|1980||"Against The Wind"||Pop Singles||5|
|1980||"Fire Lake"||Pop Singles||6|
|1980||"You'll Accomp'ny Me"||Pop Singles||14|
|1980||"The Horizontal Bop"||Pop Singles||42|
|1981||Against the Wind||Best Recording Package|
|Against the Wind||Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal|
Rock journalist Dave Marsh criticized the record as a betrayal of Seger's fans: "I'd like to say that this is not only the worst record Bob Seger has ever made, but an absolutely cowardly one as well." Marsh had followed Seger since before Night Moves, when Seger finally gained national fame, and said in this review that Seger's long, tireless struggle to stardom is trivialized by this record.
"He had to fight hard to prove there was still a place in rock & roll for a guy like him, and, with Night Moves, he won. This is the LP that makes such a victory meaningless ... It makes me sad, and it makes me angry (another emotion that's disappeared here, though it's often fueled Seger's finest work). Maybe rock & roll never forgets, but the best thing anybody who ever had any hope for Bob Seger can do is try not to remember Against the Wind and pray for something better next time. I wouldn't hold my breath."
|Canada (Music Canada)||5× Platinum||500,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||5× Platinum||5,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band: Against the Wind > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- Hepworth, David. "Bob Seger: Against the Wind". Smash Hits (March 20 – April 2): 31.
- [dead link]
- "Canadian album certifications – Bob Seger – Against the Wind". Music Canada.
- "American album certifications – Bob Seger – Against the Wind". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
The Wall by Pink Floyd
|Billboard 200 number one album
May 3 – June 13, 1980
Glass Houses by Billy Joel