Agano City Hall
Location of Agano in Niigata
|Region||Chūbu (Kōshin'etsu) (Hokuriku)|
|• - Mayor||Kiyoyoshi Tanaka (since April 2012)|
|• Total||192.74 km2 (74.42 sq mi)|
|Population (June 2016)|
|• Density||223/km2 (580/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|Address||10-15 Okayama, Agano-shi, Niigata-ken 959-2092|
Agano (阿賀野市 Agano-shi?) is a city located in north-central Niigata Prefecture, in the Hokuriku region of Japan. As of 1 June 2016[update], the city had an estimated population of 42,993 and a population density of 223 persons per km². Its total area was 192.74 square kilometres (74.42 sq mi).
Agano is located in an inland region of north-central Niigata Prefecture. As the city name implies, the Agano River flows through the city. The highest elevation is the summit of Mount Gozu at 912 meters.
The area of present-day Agano was part of ancient Echigo Province. The modern city of Agano was established on April 1, 2004, from the merger of the towns of Suibara and Yasuda, and the villages of Kyōgase and Sasakami (all from Kitakanbara District).
Agano has eleven public elementary schools and four public middle schools. There is one public high school, and also one special education school.
- Ban-etsu Expressway – Yasuda IC
- Japan National Route 49
- Japan National Route 290
- Japan National Route 459
- Japan National Route 460
- Lake Hyōko (Ramsar site)
- Mount Gozu
- Gozu onsen area (五頭温泉郷 Gozu onsen gō?)
- Suntopia World amusement park (サントピアワールド?)
- Sasa-dango (笹団子?): mochi balls filled with red bean paste, seasoned with mugwort and wrapped in bamboo leaves.
- Poppo-yaki (ぽっぽ焼き?): steamed bread flavored with brown sugar.
- Yasuda yogurt (ヤスダヨーグルト?)
- Triangle aburaage (三角油揚 Sankaku aburage?)
- Swan Lake beer (スワンレイクビール?)
- Hakuryū sake (白龍?)
- Shimbo konnyaku (新保こんにゃく?)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Agano, Niigata.|
.city .agano .niigata .jp (Japanese)