From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the grindcore band, see Agathocles (band).
Agathocles (Greek: Ἀγαθοκλῆς) is a Greek name; the most famous of which is Agathocles of Syracuse, the tyrant of Syracuse. The name is derived from ἀγαθός, agathos, i.e. "good" and κλέος, kleos, i.e. "glory".
Other personalities named Agathocles:
- Agathocles, a sophist, teacher of Damon
- Agathocles (writers), was the name of a number of ancient writers, including an ancient historian referred to by Pliny and Cicero
- Agathocles of Pella, father of Lysimachus
- Agathocles, one of the sons of Agathocles of Syracuse from his first marriage
- Agathocles (son of Lysimachus), the son and heir of Lysimachus
- Agathocles, grandson of Agathocles of Syracuse with his third wife Theoxena of Syracuse
- Agathocles of Egypt, son of the above named Agathocles; guardian of Ptolemy V Epiphanes and brother of Agathoclea, mistress of Ptolemy IV Philopator
- Agathocles of Bactria, an Indo-Greek king who ruled about 185 BC
- Agafokliya, a related Russian feminine first name
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|