Agbinika Power Station
|Agbinika Power Station|
|Dam and spillways|
|Installed capacity||20 MW|
The power station will be located across Kochi River, at the current location of Agbinika Falls in Kochi Sub-county, in Yumbe District, in West Nile, Northern Uganda. This location lies near the town of Yumbe, close to the borders with the Democratic Republic of the Congo and South Sudan. The approximate coordinates of Agbinika Falls are:3°30'00.0"N, 31°11'51.0"E (Latitude:3.5000; Longitude:31.1975). The coordinates are approximate because Agbinika Falls does not show on most publicly available maps.
In February 2013, Ugandan print media reported that Uganda's president, Yoweri Museveni, had verbally agreed for his government to construct the Agbinika Power Station to supply power to the West Nile sub-region, in conjunction with the Nyagak Power Stations I, II, and III. The planned capacity of the Agbinika station is 20 megawatts.
At this time, the construction time-table is not yet publicly known.
The estimated cost of constructing this power station is unknown at this time. The construction of the 5 MW Nyagak III Power Station in nearby Zombo District is anticipated to cost approximately US$14 million. Using that bench mark, Agbinika Power Station may cost approximately US$65 to US$75 million.
- List of power stations in Uganda
- List of hydropower stations in Africa
- List of hydroelectric power stations
- Felix Warom Okello, and Clement Aluma (28 March 2015). "Aringa County: Waiting for An Electricity 'Saviour'". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Okello, Felix Warom (4 February 2013). "New Site for Power Station Identified". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Approximate Location of Agbinika Falls At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Okello, Felix Warom (9 February 2013). "Museveni Makes Pledge on Yumbe Waterfalls". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 7 May 2014.[permanent dead link]
- "Legal Consultants for Nyagak III Uganda Small Hydro". Devex.com. 6 October 2011. Retrieved 7 May 2014.