Map of Azerbaijan showing Agdash Rayon
|• Total||1,050 km2 (410 sq mi)|
|Population (2009 census)|
|• Density||94/km2 (240/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+994) 20|
Agdash (Azerbaijani: Ağdaş) is a rayon in central Azerbaijan. The Agdash rayon consists of Leki settlement and 72 villages. This rayon has a favorable economic and geographic location. Turyan River and Kura River along South-West border extend through the territory of the rayon. Upper Shirvan Channel also crosses Agdash region. This area is surrounded by Tugay forests along Kura river bank, and Turyanchay State Preservation to the north.
Agdash city was established in 16th century located at Eresh on the silk road. The city located at convenient geographic place having propitious weather conditions such as mild and dry subtropical climate. The Turianchay River, the Kur river and the Shirvan Canal crosses the territory. There are unique Tugay forests along the Kur, which end in Turyanchay State Reserve. Also there are beautiful gardens in Agdash. The territory of the region mainly consists of the plain, low mountain chain Bozdag, of about 700 m height located on the north part.
Population Agdash 93,100, Azeris make the basic population (98%) of the area Agdash and of the basic population of city Agdash. Other ethnic groups such as the Lezghins, the Kurds, the Tats make up the other 2% of the Agdash rayon's population. The average population density in the city equals to 91 persons per square km.
The core economy of the region is agriculture. Cotton-growing has started to evolve since 19th century. The region has a potential of producing 20–25 tonnes of cotton. Moreover, in recent years it has become a priority to develop rice-paddy growing in extreme salinity sites. Silk-worm breeding is considered to be one of the ancient and traditional fields at the region. 
The industry is relatively developed in the rayon. The main industrial sector of the rayon is processing. Leki Ginning Factory produces seedless raw cotton which provides 75–85% of all regional industrial production. In addition to that, the region has a developed plastic material and textile industry (Khosrov Metalplastmas Plant, Agdash Industrial Plant), food industry (Agdash Bread-Making Plant, Agdash Foodstuffs Plant) and production of construction materials (Kukel Brick Plant). Recently, “Orelay” and “FA com BICA” sweets production enterprises, “Arash” cooling water and “Arshin Malchin” textile plants have been put into operation in the region.
- "Şəhərlərarası telefon kodları". Aztelekom MMC. Aztelekom İB. Retrieved 19 August 2015. (Azerbaijani)
- "Central town of Agdash". news. crosswalk.
- Economic Characteristics
- General Information About Education in Agdash
- General Information About Agdash
|Part of the series on|