Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome is an expansion pack for the real-time strategy game Age of Empires. It is based on the rise of the Roman Empire, and adds the Roman Empire and three other playable civilizations to Age of Empires.
The Rise of Rome features a new Roman architectural design, shared by all four new civilizations, the Romans, Palmyrans, Macedonians and Carthaginians. Four new researchable technologies have been added. Additional new features include five new units, four new random map types, and a larger map size option. Pathfinding for all units is also considerably improved. New music was composed for this expansion, which replaced the original score entirely.
Gameplay-wise, the expansion introduced numerous interface tweaks, such as unit queuing, the ability to double click a single unit and highlight others of the same unit-type, balancing damage done by catapults, and the option to increase the population limit beyond 50 (only in multiplayer games). By installing the 1.0a update from 1999, it is also possible to use the period key to cycle through idle villagers. After the last official patch by the developer, the game's community continued the support by a own-made unofficial patch to address remaining issues and to improve compatibility with modern hardware and OSes.
Sales of The Rise of Rome reached 1.2 million copies by June 2001.
The Rise of Rome won Computer Games Strategy Plus's 1998 "Add-On of the Year" award. The editors wrote that it "added whole new campaigns, refined rules, and a fresh new gaming experience for a title that was already highly regarded."
- "Rise of Rome feature set". Microsoft.com. Archived from the original on 2012-04-19. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- "Microsoft Age of Empires Expansion Update 1.0a". Microsoft.com. 1999. Archived from the original on 2000-03-04. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- aoe_scout (2014-09-17). "UPatch - unofficial patch for Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome". aoe.heavengames.com. Retrieved 2014-09-21.
UPatch is unofficial update (user patch) for Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome. A solid improvement over the original game, UPatch includes custom game resolutions (up to 1920x1200), over 150 bug fixes, new gameplay options and other enhancements.
- Staff (June 2001). "Computer Gaming World's Hall of Fame". Computer Gaming World (203): 80, 81.
- Staff (February 11, 1999). "The Best of 1998". Computer Games Strategy Plus. Archived from the original on February 3, 2005.