Age of Empires II: The Forgotten
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Age of Empires II: The Forgotten|
|Developer(s)||SkyBox Labs, Forgotten Empires|
|Series||Age of Empires|
|Release||November 7, 2013|
Age of Empires II: The Forgotten is the second expansion pack to the 1999 real-time strategy game Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, having been released nearly 13 years after the first expansion, The Conquerors. Created for the HD Edition of the game available on Steam, The Forgotten originated as an unofficial modification for the game known as Forgotten Empires. The expansion pack was developed by the team that created the mod with the assistance of SkyBox Labs, based in Vancouver. The Forgotten introduces five civilizations (the Italians, Indians, Slavs, Magyars, and Incas), seven campaigns, units, technologies, gameplay modes, maps, improved AI and other tweaks to gameplay.
The Forgotten introduces various new gameplay features and tweaks, including the new game modes Capture the Relic and Treaty. Additional maps, including an expanded maximum map size that is four times bigger than the previous largest. Over 30 new technologies and 9 new units are included. Custom creations can be shared directly to the Steam Workshop. Artificial Intelligence has been improved, modeled on competitive players.
The Forgotten adds seven additional single player campaigns (Alaric, Bari, Sforza, Dracula, El Dorado, Prithviraj, and Battles of the Forgotten) which are partially based on historical events. The "Battles of the Forgotten" campaign is, like the "Battles of the Conquerors" campaign in Age of Empires II: The Conquerors, a set of unrelated scenarios relating the stories of several medieval battles: the Honfoglalás, the Battle of Langshan Jiang, the Battle of Bukhara, the Battle of York, Dos Pilas, the Battle of Kurikara, the Battle of Bapheus, and the Conquest of Cyprus.
Battles of the Forgotten
Bukhara (557) Khosrow I leads the Sassanid Persians into battle against the White Huns while they are at peace with the Byzantines, allying with the Gökturks to do so, all the while taking advantage of the Silk Road trade to achieve a solid economic base. Once the White Huns are defeated, Khosrow must then defeat the Gökturks, who have turned against him.
In April 2015, Microsoft announced that a patch, as well as a new downloadable content (DLC), which is a follow-up to The Forgotten is in development through a blog post. The DLC includes features such as civilizations, campaigns, game modes and units. This expansion was released with the name The African Kingdoms.
- "Release date for Age of Empires II: The Forgotten". ageofempiresonline. November 6, 2013. Archived from the original on November 13, 2013. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- "Announcing Age of Empires II HD - The Forgotten". Steam. August 16, 2013. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- "Age of Empires II: The Forgotten". SkyBox Labs. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- Steven Bogos (August 16, 2013). "Age of Empires II Receives First Official Expansion in 14 Years". The Escapist. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Age of Empires II: HD Edition – Patch 3.9 and the Path Forward". Age of Empires Blog. April 8, 2015. Retrieved April 10, 2015.
- Starkey, Daniel (April 9, 2015). "16-year-old Age of Empires II Gets a New Expansion, Patch". GameSpot. Retrieved April 10, 2015.
- "Age of Empires II HD: The African Kingdoms on Steam". store.steampowered.com. Retrieved January 5, 2016.