Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (season 7)
|Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (season 7)|
|Country of origin||United States|
The seventh and final season of the American television series Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., based on the Marvel Comics organization S.H.I.E.L.D., follows S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and allies as they try to save the world from invasion. It is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and acknowledges the continuity of the franchise's films. The season is produced by ABC Studios, Marvel Television, and Mutant Enemy Productions, with Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, and Jeffrey Bell serving as showrunners.
Principal cast members Clark Gregg, Ming-Na Wen, Chloe Bennet, Iain De Caestecker, Elizabeth Henstridge, Henry Simmons, Natalia Cordova-Buckley and Jeff Ward return from previous seasons. The season was ordered in November 2018, ahead of the sixth season premiere, and filming began in February 2019 and wrapped on July 30, 2019. The season uses time travel to explore the history of S.H.I.E.L.D. and tie up threads left by the previous seasons.
The seventh season is set to begin airing in mid-2020, and run for 13 episodes on ABC.
|Title [a]||Directed by||Written by ||Original air date ||U.S. viewers|
|TBA||TBA||"Know Your Onions"||TBA||Craig Titley||2020||TBD|
|TBA||TBA||"The New Deal"||TBA||George Kitson||2020||TBD|
|TBA||TBA||"Alien Commies from the Future"||TBA||Nora Zuckerman & Lilla Zuckerman||2020||TBD|
|TBA||TBA||"Out of the Past"||TBA||Mark Leitner||2020||TBD|
|TBA||TBA||"A Trout in the Milk"||TBA||Iden Baghdadchi||2020||TBD|
|TBA||TBA||"Adapt or Die"||TBA||DJ Doyle||2020||TBD|
|TBA||TBA||"The Totally Excellent Adventures of Mack and the D"||TBA||Brent Fletcher||2020||TBD|
|TBA||TBA||"After, Before"||TBA||James C. Oliver & Sharla Oliver||2020||TBD|
|TBA||TBA||"As I Have Always Been"||Elizabeth Henstridge||Drew Z. Greenberg||2020||TBD|
|TBA||TBA||"Stolen"||TBA||Story by : Mark Linehan Bruner |
Teleplay by : George Kitson & Mark Leitner
|TBA||TBA||"Brand New Day"||TBA||Christopher Freyer||2020||TBD|
|TBA||TBA||"The End is at Hand"||TBA||Jeffrey Bell||2020||TBD|
|TBA||TBA||"What We're Fighting For"||TBA||Jed Whedon||2020||TBD|
Cast and characters
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson
- Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May
- Chloe Bennet as Daisy Johnson / Quake
- Iain De Caestecker as Leo Fitz
- Elizabeth Henstridge as Jemma Simmons
- Henry Simmons as Alphonso "Mack" MacKenzie
- Natalia Cordova-Buckley as Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez
- Jeff Ward as Deke Shaw
In November 2018, ahead of the release of the sixth season, ABC renewed Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for a seventh. This early renewal was a surprise following the series' low rated fifth season, but Deadline Hollywood reported that this timing was likely due to the cast's contract negotiations and would help reduce costs by filming the sixth and seventh seasons back-to-back. Marvel Television head Jeph Loeb later revealed that the series' crew had expected the shorter sixth season to be its last and were also surprised by the seventh season renewal. He attributed the decision to ABC watching early work on season six and believing the crew had found "another wave of energy" that they wanted to see continue. Responding to new rumors in March 2019 that the seventh season would be the series' last, Loeb stated, "We're not ending." However, ahead of the series San Diego Comic-Con panel in July 2019, Loeb announced that the seventh season would be the series' last. He explained that the cast and crew had originally expected the series to end with the fifth season, and had put other plans on hold to continue with the sixth. So, when ABC wanted to renew the series for a seventh season, they agreed to the decision if it could be the final season. Having this knowledge allowed them to build the season specifically to "tie up any threads" and try to create a satisfying conclusion to the story.
Because the season was ordered while the writers were working on the sixth season, they and showrunners Jed Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, and Jeffrey Bell were able to plan a story that is split over both seasons with a cliffhanger ending the sixth season that the seventh can resolve. The writers tried to create more episodes in the season that were "outside of [their] normal form of storytelling", like the third season episode "4,722 Hours". For previous seasons, the writers divided their stories into different "pods" rather than stretching a single story over 22 episodes, but this was not necessary for the shorter 13 episode season. The seventh season's story features the team trying to save the world from invasion by the Chronicoms, a recurring subplot in the sixth season. They use time travel to do this, allowing the season explore the history of S.H.I.E.L.D. and "look back at everything we’ve done". The season begins in 1930s New York, prior to the formation of S.H.I.E.L.D., before exploring more time periods.
With the season renewal, main cast members Ming-Na Wen, Chloe Bennet, Iain De Caestecker, Elizabeth Henstridge, Henry Simmons, Natalia Cordova-Buckley, and Jeff Ward were confirmed to be returning from previous seasons as Melinda May, Daisy Johnson / Quake, Leo Fitz, Jemma Simmons, Alphonso "Mack" MacKenzie, Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez, and Deke Shaw, respectively. The renewal did not include series' star Clark Gregg, but Jed Whedon stated in April 2019 that the producers "firmly believe that any season would have to have him in it". The end of the sixth season revealed that a Life Model Decoy of Phil Coulson would appear in the seventh season, with Gregg starring as the new version of his character. This was the writers' solution to wanting to bring the character back without reversing the stakes of his death in the fifth season.
In August 2019, Hayley Atwell and Patrick Warburton were revealed to be returning to the series for the final season after previously making guest appearances as Peggy Carter and Rick Stoner, respectively.
Marvel Cinematic Universe tie-ins
In August 2019, Whedon and Tancharoen indicated that there would be a connection to the MCU in the final season.
- "Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D." Writers Guild of America West. Archived from the original on August 25, 2019. Retrieved August 25, 2019. Episodes with a credit date in 2019.
- Dinh, Christine (July 18, 2019). "'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' to Conclude After Thrilling 7th Season Summer 2020". Marvel.com. Archived from the original on July 20, 2019. Retrieved August 16, 2019.
- "Elizabeth Henstridge on Christmas at the Plaza". Hallmark Channel. Retrieved November 6, 2019.
- Agard, Chancellor (August 2, 2019). "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. bosses explain what those twists mean for the final season". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on August 3, 2019. Retrieved August 18, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (November 16, 2018). "'Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D' Renewed For Season 7 By ABC". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on November 16, 2018. Retrieved November 17, 2018.
- Steele, Sean (August 7, 2019). "Exclusive: Hayley Atwell's Agent Carter to Appear in 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season 7". FandomWire. Archived from the original on August 8, 2019. Retrieved August 18, 2019.
- Schmidt, JK (August 14, 2019). "Agents of SHIELD Bringing Back Patrick Warburton for Final Season". ComicBook.com. Archived from the original on August 15, 2019. Retrieved August 14, 2019.
- O'Connell, Michael (November 16, 2018). "'Agents of SHIELD' Gets a Very Early Season 7 Renewal at ABC". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on November 17, 2018. Retrieved November 17, 2018.
- Radish, Christina (May 10, 2019). "'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' EPs on Season 6 and Not Following the MCU Timeline". Collider. Archived from the original on May 10, 2019. Retrieved May 11, 2019.
- Dahl, Angie (March 30, 2019). "WonderCon LIVE: Agents of SHIELD Cast & Crew Declassify Season 6". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on March 31, 2019. Retrieved March 30, 2019.
- Patten, Dominic (July 18, 2019). "'Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.' To End After Season 7 On ABC – Comic-Con". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on July 18, 2019. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- Topel, Fred (April 12, 2019). "'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' – Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen Interview on Season 6". Showbiz Junkies. Archived from the original on May 5, 2019. Retrieved May 5, 2019.
- Ahr, Michael (May 10, 2019). "Agents of SHIELD Season 6 Showrunners Share What to Expect". Den of Geek. Archived from the original on May 10, 2019. Retrieved May 11, 2019.
- Mitovich, Matt Webb (August 2, 2019). "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. EPs Break Down Those Trippy Season-Ending Twists, How Final Season Will Tap Into History". TVLine. Archived from the original on August 3, 2019. Retrieved August 18, 2019.
- Mehmedova, Filiz (February 25, 2019). "Agents of SHIELD season 7 has started filming – 3 months before season 6 airs". Digital Spy. Archived from the original on February 25, 2019. Retrieved March 21, 2019.
- Mitovich, Matt Webb (May 9, 2019). "On the Set With Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Cast Talks of Life After Coulson, the Search for Fitz, and... Swords?". TVLine. Archived from the original on May 9, 2019. Retrieved May 11, 2019.
- Mitovich, Matt Webb (July 30, 2019). "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Team Shares Emotional Spy's Goodbyes as Filming on Next Year's Series Finale Wraps". TVLine. Archived from the original on July 31, 2019. Retrieved July 31, 2019.
- Mitovich, Matt Webb (August 23, 2019). "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Final Season Sneak Peek Features Face Stealing, 1930s Murder and a HYDRA Tease". TVLine. Archived from the original on August 24, 2019. Retrieved August 25, 2019.