This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)
Ageplay or age play is a form of roleplaying in which an individual acts or treats another as if they were a different age. Ageplay is roleplaying between adults, and involves consent from all parties. Ageplay is not necessarily sexual. Portraying any age can be the goal of ageplay, from babies to a child to the elderly. Usually this involves someone pretending to be younger than they actually are, but more rarely can involve assuming an older role.
Ageplay can be sexual. It may be mildly sexual, or very sexual. Within dominant/submissive relationships, ageplay can enhance power dynamics, and allow a partner to feel more comfortable with their dominance or submission.
Sexual variations may include among other things such as incest play, in which individuals recreate and sexualize roles within a family, and daddy's girl fetishism in which real or imagined age differences are the basis of the roleplaying and the female is portrayed as the younger partner.
Ageplay is not considered pedophilia or related to it by professional psychologists. Individuals who engage in ageplay enjoy portraying children, or enjoy childlike elements typical of children present in adults (and to a lesser extent, adolescents).
In a BDSM (Bondage & Discipline, Dominance & Submission, Sadism & Masochism)-type ageplay relationship, there might be roleplay that includes spankings or some sort of punishment that consenting parties agree to. This type of relationship may intersect with elements of animal roleplay, in which one party is a "pet" to a human caregiver, although there often are differences between the items and scenarios used in each.
Specific conventions and major events have formed that specifically cater to ageplayers including
- CAPcon, a convention that occurs once a year in a hotel in the Chicago area in the USA 
- TeddyCon, a convention that occurs once a year near Allentown, Pennsylvania in the USA 
- TOMKAT, founded in 2013, this event occurs twice a year in Ontario, Canada at a private wilderness camp 
- West Coast Jungle Gym, a convention that occurs once a year in a hotel in San Diego, California, in the USA 
- Age disparity in sexual relationships
- Animal roleplay
- Doll fetish
- Paraphilic infantilism
- Sexual roleplay
- Holiday, Sybil; Henkin, Bill; Henkin, William A. (1996). Consensual Sadomasochism: How to Talk About It and How to Do It Safely. San Francisco: Daedalus Publishing Company. p. 60. ISBN 978-1-881943-12-9. OCLC 39923440.
- Weiss, M. D. (2006). "Working at play: BDSM sexuality in the San Francisco Bay area". Anthropologica. 48 (2): 229–246. doi:10.2307/25605313. JSTOR 25605313.
- Aggrawal (2009), p. 121
- Aggrawal (2009), p. 147
- Sovago-Royal, Amanda, "The Ultimate Guide To Dd/lg and Petplay", Tail Plugs, 03/03/2018
- "CAPCon". CAPCon. Retrieved 2021-02-19.
- "TeddyCon - Home". teddycon.org. Retrieved 2021-02-19.
- "Home". Home. Retrieved 2021-02-19.
- Gym, The West Coast Jungle. "HOME". The West Coast Jungle Gym. Retrieved 2021-02-19.
- Aggrawal, Anil (2009). Forensic and Medico-legal Aspects. Boca Raton: CRC Press. ISBN 978-1-4200-4308-2.
- Rulof, Paul (2011). Ageplay: From Diapers to Diplomas. Las Vegas: Nazca Plains. ISBN 978-1-61098-190-3.
- Media related to Ageplay at Wikimedia Commons