Aggie Stadium (UC Davis)
|Location||Davis, California 95616|
|Owner||University of California, Davis|
|Operator||University of California, Davis|
|Surface||Sportexe Synthetic Turf (Monofilament)|
|Construction cost||$30 million USD|
UC Davis Aggies football (NCAA) (2007–present) |
UC Davis Aggies lacrosse (NCAA) (2007–present)
FC Davis (National Premier Soccer League) (2018–present)
Aggie Stadium is a 10,743-seat multi-purpose stadium on the University of California, Davis campus in unincorporated Yolo County, California. It opened on April 1, 2007 and is the home to the UC Davis Aggies football and women's lacrosse teams, as well as semi-professional soccer club FC Davis of the National Premier Soccer League. It replaced Toomey Field. Plans call for the stadium to eventually be built out to 30,000 seats. The field at Aggie Stadium is named Jim Sochor Field, after their College Football Hall of Fame coach.
The stadium was originally scheduled for completion in time for the 2006 football season, but due to owner requested changes the stadium did not open until 2007.
In the first sporting event held in the new stadium, the UCD women's lacrosse team beat St. Mary's 17-5. Aggie sophomore Patrice Clark scored the first goal. The first football game at Aggie Stadium was held on September 1, 2007, against Western Washington. The Aggies lost 28-21. Through the 2010 season, the Aggies have a record of 13 wins and 8 losses at Aggie Stadium.
The Tavernetti Bell, also known as the "Victory Bell", greets fans entering Aggie Stadium. The bell is named after Thomas Tavernetti (1889–1934) and is rung once for every point scored after an Aggie victory. With the construction of Aggie Stadium, the bell followed from its previous location at the old site on Toomey field.
- "Aggie Stadium to Be Dedicated Saturday". UC Davis site. Retrieved November 3, 2009.
- Ream, Evan. "NPSL announces FC Davis as a 2018 expansion franchise".
- "2007 Football Season at the New Aggie Stadium". UC Davis site. Archived from the original on 10 November 2009. Retrieved November 3, 2009.
- "Farewell to Toomey". UC Davis site. Archived from the original on October 9, 2007. Retrieved July 14, 2007.
- "Western Washington Vikings v. UC Davis Aggies Box Score, September 1, 2007". ESPN site. Retrieved November 17, 2007.
- "Namesakes: Thomas Tavernetti". UC Davis site. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
|This article about a sports venue in California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|