|Anime television series|
|Original network||TBS Television|
|Original run||April 2, 2016 – March 31, 2018|
|Original net animation|
|Released||April 20, 2018 – present|
Aggretsuko or Aggressive Retsuko (Japanese: アグレッシブ烈子 Hepburn: Aguresshibu Retsuko) is a Japanese anime musical comedy franchise based on the eponymous character created by "Yeti" for the mascot company Sanrio. The character first appeared in a series of animated shorts by Fanworks which aired on TBS Television between April 2016 and March 2018. An original net animation series launched worldwide on Netflix in April 2018.
Retsuko is an anthropomorphic red panda, 25 years old and single, who works in the accounting department of a Japanese trading firm. Facing constant frustration every day from pushy superiors and annoying co-workers, Retsuko lets out her emotions by going to a karaoke bar every night and singing death metal. After five years of working the daily grind, her relationships with her various co-workers begin to shift and alter her life and personality drastically.
- Retsuko (烈子)
- Voiced by: Kaolip, Rarecho (singing) (Japanese); Erica Mendez, Jamison Boaz (singing) (English)
- A 25-year-old red panda in her company's accounting department who lets out frustrations over her job by singing death metal at a karaoke bar. She's an amiable introvert who struggles to stand up for herself and prone to naive/unrealistic dreams but slowly grows with help from her friends.
- Director Ton (トン)
- Voiced by: Souta Arai (Japanese); Josh Petersdorf (English)
- The pig director of the accounting department, who constantly gives Retsuko a hard time through blatant sexism or overwork. He spends most of his time practicing golf instead of working, though it is shown that he is an incredibly good accountant, and even has his golden moments.
- Fenneko (フェネ子 Feneko)
- Voiced by: Rina Inoue (Japanese); Katelyn Gault (English)
- Retsuko's fennec fox co-worker and closest friend in the office. Highly perceptive and insightful, she is able to deduce anyone's mental state through mere observation of their habits and deviations from them. She has a highly distinctive and monotonous laugh. she also has the ability to scan and analyze anyone's social media
- Haida (ハイ田)
- Voiced by: Shingo Kato (Japanese); Ben Diskin (English)
- Retsuko's mild-mannered Spotted Hyena co-worker, who develops a crush on her after five years together as friends. His roundabout approach to confessing his feelings puts him in many comical situations. Haida also plays bass guitar.
- Director Gori (ゴリ)
- Voiced by: Maki Tsuruta (Japanese); G.K. Bowes (English)
- A gorilla lady who works as director of marketing at Retsuko's company. Along with Washimi, she does yoga with Retsuko and eventually joins her in karaoke. Despite her serious nature at work, she is highly excitable and takes great interest in bonding with Retsuko.
- Ms. Washimi (鷲美)
- Voiced by: Komegumi Koiwasaki (Japanese); Tara Platt (English)
- A secretary bird who works as the secretary to the company's president, and is arguably the company's de facto president due to the actual president's utter incompetence. Strong-willed and confident, she's very level-headed and gives Retsuko a lot of sage advice. She sometimes ax kicks to intimidate those who frustrate her (mostly her boss), embodying the classic hunting behavior of her animal.
- Tsunoda (角田)
- Voiced by: Rina Inoue (Japanese); G.K. Bowes (English)
- A perky gazelle coworker of Retsuko who frequently sucks up to Ton in order to remain in a favorable position and to lighten her own workload. Her shameless approach to office politics earns her the ire of many. However, she is highly self-aware and more genuine than most would believe.
- Komiya (小宮)
- Voiced by: Souta Arai (Japanese); Todd Haberkorn (English)
- Ton's meerkat right-hand subordinate. Like Tsunoda, Komiya sucks up to Ton, but he appears to be motivated by genuine admiration for Ton while Tsunoda only does so for her own calculated benefits.
- Tsubone (坪根)
- Voiced by: Maki Tsuruta (Japanese); Debra Cardona (English)
- A Komodo dragon who serves as Retsuko's immediate superior in the accounting department. She is highly condescending and is implied to enjoy watching others fail in ways not related to work.
- Kabae (カバ恵)
- Voiced by: Yuki Takahashi (Japanese); Misty Lee (English)
- Retsuko's hippo coworker. Kabae is a middle-aged woman who frequently runs her mouth as the company's rumor mill. She is easily excited by new gossip but claims to never spread anything malicious.
- Resasuke (れさすけ)
- Voiced by: Shingo Kato (Japanese); Max Mittelman (English)
- Retsuko's one-time red panda boyfriend who works in the Sales Department at their trade firm. Nicknamed the "Out of Pocket Prince" (JP dub) or "Space Cadet" (ENG dub), he is constantly daydreaming, irresponsible with job duties, soft-spoken, and has zero social awareness. He has a large collection of thriving plants at home, suggesting that his character is a play on the Japanese term "herbivore men".
A series of 100 one-minute anime shorts directed by Rarecho by Fanworks aired on TBS Television between April 2, 2016 and March 31, 2018 as part of the Ō-sama Brunch television program. Pony Canyon began releasing the shorts on DVD from January 18, 2017.
A Netflix original series was announced in December 2017, with Rarecho returning as director and writer at Fanworks. The first season, consisting of ten episodes, was released worldwide on April 20, 2018, with a second season scheduled to be released in 2019. A Christmas special will be released on December 20, 2018.
|No.||Title[a]||Netflix release date|
|1||"A Day in the Life of Retsuko"||April 20, 2018|
|After five years at the same company, office worker Retsuko has to deal with many daily annoyances. She inadvertently arrives to work in her sandals, interacts with coworkers who either kiss up to the boss or couldn't care less about work. Her boss, Ton, makes her do menial tasks like dusting his desk and getting him tea, and then piles a bunch of papers on her, keeping her late at night. Afterwards, she lets out her frustrations by going to a karaoke bar and singing death metal.|
|2||"A Good, Hard-working Girl"||April 20, 2018|
|Retsuko experiences a glimmer of hope when her free-spirited friend, Puko, proposes starting up her own business.|
|3||"Short-timer"||April 20, 2018|
|Retsuko becomes more inclined to stand up to her superiors, which backfires when she learns her dream job isn't what she hoped it would be.|
|4||"Walking Down the Aisle"||April 20, 2018|
|Feeling she can have a happy life by marrying someone with a huge salary, Retsuko takes up yoga classes, where she meets her co-workers Gori and Washimi.|
|5||"Exposed"||April 20, 2018|
|Gori and Washimi end up taking Retsuko to her usual karaoke bar, where her penchant for death metal is exposed.|
|6||"Stoking Rebellion"||April 20, 2018|
|Hearing about Retsuko's troubles with her boss, Ton, Washimi uses her connections with the company president to help her out.|
|7||"The Duel"||April 20, 2018|
|Ton acts uncharacteristically nice following his warning, only for him to discover who it was who reported him.|
|8||"The Out of Pocket Prince"||April 20, 2018|
|Retsuko attends an office mixer, where she meets Resasuke from the sales department.|
|9||"A Rosy World"||April 20, 2018|
|Retsuko falls head over heels for Resasuke, becoming oblivious to how bad things really are.|
|10||"The Dream Ends"||April 20, 2018|
|Retsuko is forced to realize that she can't keep ignoring the pain she is going through.|
|Special||"We Wish You a Metal Christmas"||December 20, 2018|
- Valdez, Nick (3 February 2018), Netflix's 'Aggretsuko' Anime Series Reveals Trailer And Release Date, Comicbook.com
- Oi, Mariko (13 February 2017), The angry red panda that is Japan's new working woman, BBC News
- Aggressive Retsuko, Sanrio
- Otterson, Joe (5 July 2018). "Netflix Sets 'Castlevania' Season 2 Premiere Date, Renews 'Aggretsuko'". Variety. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- All English episode titles taken from Netflix.