Agha Javed Pathan
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Dr. Agha Javed Pathan|
May 4, 1972|
|Education||Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences, Jamshoro|
|Occupation||Chairman, Pakistan Medical & Dental Association|
Agha Javed Pathan (Urdu: آغا جاوید پٹھان ) is a political activist from Sindh, Pakistan, who practices as a doctor in Karachi. He was accused of shoe throwing on Arbab Ghulam Rahim (former Chief Minister of Sindh Province) in April 2008. He was accused of hitting Arbab on his first visit to Sindh Assembly after General elections of 2008 to attend the session and taking oath as a member of provincial assembly. Agha Javed was arrested from his home but was released by the court due to lack of evidence.
Agha Javed a Sindhi Pathan was born and raised at Shikarpur, Sindh. He graduated from Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences, Jamshoro in 1996. He was a political activist since his student life and was General Secretary of Sindh People Students Federation during his college days. After graduation he moved to Karachi for postgraduation and got admission in Karachi University. Agha Javed Pathan gained attention after hitting former Sindh chief minister Arbab Ghulam Rahim with a shoe.
Javed earned a Bachelor of Dental Surgery from Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences, then Liaquat Medical College at Jamshoro in 1996. He received a postgraduate diploma in public administration in 2002 from Karachi University. He completed a Masters in Administrative Sciences (Health Management) in 2006 from Karachi University.
- As Chairman, Pakistan Medical and Dental Association he raised voice against target killing of doctors in Karachi in 1999.
- Dr Javed condemned the physical manhandling of doctors by a group of attendants and friends of a patient at Jinnah Post Graduate Medical Centre in July 2008 and urged authorities to carry out investigations of the incidence. He called for measures to protect doctors and other hospital staff from such attacks.
- Agha Javed Pathan lead a hunger strike in Feb 2011 at Karachi Press Club for extradition of Pervez Musharraf after later's refusal to appear before an anti-terrorism court on charges that he failed to provide adequate security to Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto.
- Agha Javed Pathan has demanded immediate opening of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Medical College at Lyari, Karachi which was formally launched by President Asif Ali Zardari in 2009, was supposed to be functional in 2010 but still no sign even in 2011.
Shoe throwing incident
Agha Javed was nominated in a case of shoe throwing against former Chief Minister of Sindh province. He was accused of hitting the head of Arbab Ghulam Rahim on April 7, 2008 with his shoes inside Sindh Assembly building after assembly session. and shown all over the world. Three cases (FIR Nos 199/2008, 200/2008 and 201/2008) were registered against him under Sections 337-A, 392 of the Pakistan Penal Code, 13-D of the Arms Ordinance and Section 6/9-A of Control of Narcotic Substance Act at Preedy police station. He was arrested after police raided his home. Four cases were registered against him including manhandling with Arbab Ghulam Rahim, committing decoity, keeping illegal weapons and narcotics. Later he was released by the court due to lack of evidence.
Immediately after the incident, Pakistan Peoples Party activist Kazim Hakim offered Rs. 600,000- for the shoe thrown at Arbab Ghulam Rahim; Sardar Ameen Mengal, a leader from Pakistan Peoples Party, Larkana chapter offered Rs.9,000,000 for the shoe.
- "Karachi News". Karachipage.com. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "By Our Staff Reporter-PMA, PMDA slam attack". pakistantelephonedirectory.freeonlineserver.com. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "PPP leader of Arbab shoe-hit fame demands immediate opening of SBBMC". www.pakistantoday.com.pk. Archived from the original on 2011-01-24. Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- "Arbab Ghulam Rahim gets Slapped with a Shoe | Teeth Maestro". 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Dr Arbab Rahim Slap (really good one)". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Man involved in Arbab’s manhandling arrested". Worldtribunepakistan.com. 2008-04-09. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Challan against Javed Pathan submitted before court". GEO.tv. 2008-04-29. Archived from the original on 2010-11-28. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Warrants issued against Arbab Rahim | Arbab, Police, Rahim, Former, Court". Apnakarachi.com. 2008-10-18. Retrieved 2011-03-09.[permanent dead link]
- "Adviser to CM, wife acquitted in graft case". Archives.dawn.com. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "The shoe in demand - CSS Forums". Cssforum.com.pk. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- "Full Story". www.Regionaltimes.com. Retrieved 2011-03-09.[permanent dead link]