Agha Shorish Kashmiri
|Agha Shorish Kashmiri|
14 August 1917
Lahore, British India
|Died||25 October 1975
|Occupation||Journalist, orator, poet, political activist, historian|
|Genre||Nazm poetry and newsmagazine editor|
Agha Shorish Kashmiri (1917–1975) was a scholar, writer, debater, and a leader of the Majlis-e-Ahrar-e-Islam party. He was a figure of the freedom movement of undivided India, as well as the chief editor of the weekly Chattan magazine, in Pakistan.
Early life and career
Kashmiri started his political career in 1935 when he delivered a historical speech at the Shaheed Ganj Mosque conference, when Maulana Zafar Ali Khan was serving as the President of Ahrar Party, India. He was a student of Maulana Zafar Ali Khan, but was disappointed by the violence at the Shaheed Ganj Mosque in 1935.
Kashmiri was impressed by Chaudhry Afzal Haq as well, who was a political leader of the Indian sub-continent, so he joined All-India Majlis-e-Ahrar-e-Islam and the struggle for Ahrar Party. Kashmiri was also impressed by his religious and political teacher (teacher meaning murshad in Urdu language) Ameer-e-Shariyyat Syed Ata Ullah Shah Bukhari.
Kashmiri was elected as secretary General of All-India Majlis-e-Ahrar-e-Islam in 1946. He played a role in Tehreek-e-Khatme Nabuwwat in 1974 during Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto's regime in Pakistan. In 2014, the Punjab governor in Pakistan, Chaudhry Muhammad Sarwar was speaking at a book-launching ceremony in Lahore. This book was written about the late Agha Shorish Kashmiri's life. The Punjab governor said that he was a great journalist who had exposed oppression everywhere. Journalists today can learn a lot from him. The governor said that Maulana Zafar Ali Khan's influence was reflected in Kashmiri's writings and Attaullah Shah Bukhari's influence in Kashmiri's speech.
- Aḥmad, Bashīr (1994). The Ahmadiyya Movement. Islamic Study Forum. pp. 356–358. OCLC 46733666.
- Mirza, Janbaz (1940). Masla Masjid Shaheed Ganj. Maktaba Majlis-e-Ahrar-e-Islam. pp. 161–169.
- https://rekhta.org/poets/shorish-kashmiri, Profile and poetry of Agha Shorish Kashmiri on rekhta.org website, Retrieved 6 June 2016
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t20eNuMPaHI, Agha Shorish Kashmiri's public speech in Pakistan on YouTube, Retrieved 6 June 2016
- http://tribune.com.pk/story/708524/book-launch-journalists-should-follow-shorishs-lead-says-sarwar/, A book-launching ceremony written about Agha Shorish Kashmiri's life in 2014, The Express Tribune newspaper, Published 15 May 2014, Retrieved 6 June 2016
|This article about a Pakistani politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a Pakistani academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|