Irish: Achadh Dubhthaigh
|• Derivation:||Achadh Dubhthaigh|
|• Meaning:||Duffy’s field|
Aghadowey in 2008
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|• Council||Causeway Coast and Glens|
|• Total||442.07 acres (178.90 ha)|
Aghadowey (from Irish Achadh Dubhthaigh, meaning 'Duffy’s field') is a townland in east County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. It lies in Aghadowey civil parish, and is part of Causeway Coast and Glens district. It is close to the county boundary with County Antrim.
- Aghadowey is a popular angling area, with anglers fishing both the River Bann and the Agivey River.
- Aghadowey Stadium hosts regular motorcycle racing and stock car racing also rallying as an alltrak event, on the disused World War II airfield. Aghadowey was the home circuit (1.003 miles/1.614 km) of the Motor Cycle Road Racing Club of Ireland (MCRRCI) (now Bishopscourt Race Circuit near Downpatrick) and was first used for racing in 1975, after the club was forced to vacate their previous circuit at Maghaberry to make way for a new prison development.
- Aghadowey fc was founded in 1968 when the coleraine and district league formed, before this they played as Agivey. They have notable rivalries with both Garvagh FC and Kilrea FC and have scored victories over both in recent years.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aghadowey.|
- List of villages in Northern Ireland
- List of towns in Northern Ireland
- Erin's abode, the current largest town-house within the largest town-land in North Londonderry
- Northern Ireland Environment Agency. "NIEA Map Viewer". Archived from the original on 24 November 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- Placenames NI Archived March 31, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Logainm - Ireland Place-names Database
- Library Ireland - Irish Place Names: Aghadowey
- "Aghadowey station" (PDF). Railscot - Irish Railways. Archived (PDF) from the original on 26 September 2007. Retrieved 8 September 2007.
|This article related to the geography of County Londonderry, Northern Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|