Agile Communication Environment
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Agile Communication Environment (ACE) is an Avaya software product that uses a service-oriented architecture (SOA) and web services to integrate unified communications capabilities with business applications and processes.
In 2005 a small team of engineers from Nortel's Maidenhead R&D center developed, as a skunkworks project, a prototype unified communications application server, code-named Arachne. The project was reviewed by executive leadership and in late 2006 the program was given the go-ahead under the title of Project Raptor.
The development work was done in four of Nortel's R&D labs: Ottawa, Beijing, Maidenhead and Galway. Approximately 80 engineers worked on this program.
- Late 2006 - Project Raptor begins.
- November 2007 - Product officially announced at a joint Nortel/IBM event in New York and soon afterwards rebranded as Agile Communication Environment.
- Winter 2007/Spring 2008 - Lead customer trials conducted, focused around Parlay X WSDLs and SIP/CTI interfaces.
- July 2008 - Version 1.0 is released.
- November 2008 - Version 1.1 is released.
- March 2009 - Version 1.2 released.
- August 2009 - Version 2.0 released.
- September 2009 - Version 2.1 released.
- December 2009 - Avaya acquires Nortel Enterprise business
- April 2010 - Version 2.2 released.
- December 2010 - Version 2.3 released.
- December 2011 - Version 3.0 released.
- August 2012 - Version 3.0.3 released.
Avaya ACE architecture
Avaya ACE is composed of two server elements: the Avaya ACE core server and the Application Integration Engine (AIE).
The Avaya ACE server hosts SOAP-based Web services that enable client applications to access core communications capabilities. ACE routes service requests to the underlying network elements that provide those capabilities.
The AIE is an optional Avaya ACE component that hosts a number of the Avaya ACE prepackaged applications and provides a central point for administration of those applications.
Avaya ACE offers its web service APIs bundled in developer-friendly toolkits for custom application development. Avaya ACE supports standards-based interfaces such as Parlay X that provide developers high-level access to communication capabilities such as audio and video call control, media service control, call notification, and presence. Services such as click-to-call, presence, notification, and call forwarding are modular and platform-neutral so they can be combined, assembled, and sequenced in different ways, without regard to the underlying communications platform. Developers can integrate these services into applications and business process using any platform or programming language.
Avaya ACE also provides a set of pre-programmed applications that offer out-of-the-box integration into common business applications such as Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, OCS 2007 R2, Lync 2010, Microsoft Dynamics, SFDC, IBM Business Process Management and IBM Lotus Sametime (either standalone or embedded within Lotus Notes).
- "Avaya Agile Communication Environment" (PDF). Avaya. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- Gardner, David W. (December 13, 2010). "Avaya Bolsters ACE Unified Communications Platform". Information Week. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- "Avaya Agile Communication Environment". Avaya. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- "Avaya Agile Communication Environment Overview". Avaya. August 2012. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- McGee-Smith, Sheila (Jun 5, 2008). "Nortel Plays Its ACE". No Jitter. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- Burt, Jeffery (June 9, 2009). "Nortel Upgrades ACE Communications Platform". eWeek. Retrieved Aug 23, 2011.
- "Avaya Agile Communication Environment Release 2.2 Contents". Avaya. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- "Avaya Agile Communication Environment Release 2.3 Contents". Avaya. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- "Avaya Agile Communication Environment Release 3.0 Contents". Avaya. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- "Avaya Agile Communication Environment Release 3.0.3 Contents". Avaya. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- "Nortel to Showcase New Unified Communications Capabilities at VoiceCon 2009"
- "Nortel Brings Unified Communications to Life at Unified Communications Expo 2009"
- IBM PartnerWorld > Global Solutions Directory > Agile Communications Environment[permanent dead link]
- "World's Local Bank" HSBC Deploys Nortel Unified Communications Solution[permanent dead link]