28 November 1936
|Died||3 November 2013 (aged 76)|
- The most valued scenographer of the Albanian Theater (with over 300 scenographies)
- Distinguished Albanian painter (with about 800 artworks)
- Professor at the Academy of Arts in Tirana Albanian Academy of Belle Arts for 40 years
- President of the Nationwide Figurative Artists’ Association
- Recognitions and awards: People's Artist of Albania, Artist Emeritus, Professor
Studies and teaching career
Zajmi was born on 28 November 1936, in Tirana, Albania. He completed his studies in painting, scenography-costumography at The Imperial Arts Academy of Saint Petersburg and graduated in 1961. In the same year he commenced working as a scenographer at the Opera and Ballet Theater of Tirana and later on worked mainly at the Tirana National Theater. He also worked very frequently with the national theaters of Prishtina in Kosova, of Shkup in Macedonia and of Montenegro. Zajmi participated in several international festivals of theater as a stage designer and painter.
In 1978, upon request of the Albanian Arts Academy, he founded the scenography studies program and took the chair at The Albanian Academy of Belle Arts in Tirana, where hundreds of future scenographers would study and graduate. He taught there for the next 40 years.
His artwork has been exhibited in many countries such as France, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Austria, Turkey, Greece, Egypt, etc. Forty of his paintings and scenography are part of the Tirana National Art Gallery collection and collections in other countries as well. Some of his artwork is currently exhibited at the Building of the Prime Ministry of Albania.
National and international awards
He is the winner of many national awards in painting and scenography. For his artistic excellence and merit, he has been awarded:
- Winner of KULT Award 2008 - Best Scenographer of the Year
- First Prize Award in Painting for Kosova Field artwork - 1989
- First Prize Award in Scenography for the General of the Dead Army theatrical scenography, Kragujevac Festival - Prishtina 1976
- First Prize Award in Scenography for the Eugène Ionesco Rhinoceros theatrical scenography, Rajsburg Biennale - Poland 1996
- Naim Frasheri Medal Award -1968
- Second Prize Award in Painting for Vasil Laçi Portrait artwork - 1972
- Second Prize Award in Painting for Ganimet Tërbesha Portrait artwork - 1981
- Second Prize Award in Painting for Ded Gjo Luli Composition artwork - 1984
- Aleksandër Moisiu Award - 1997
- Merited Artist of Albania - Awarded in 1975
- People’s Artist of the Republic of Albania - Awarded in 1991
- In 1995 he is awarded the title Professor with the motivation for services rendered to the people of Albania by teaching and enriching the Albanian social life with young painters and scenographers
- Forty of his paintings and scenographies are part of the national fund of the Albanian National Art Gallery
His artistic-scientific creativity
He is the writer and editor of the "Issues of Scenography and its Components", a chapter in Theoretical Basis of the Figurative Arts book which is a textbook for the students of the Tirana Academy of Belle Arts.
He is the president of the Nationwide Figurative Artists’ Association with headquarters in Tirana, Albania. The association cooperates with Albanian artists from all ethnic Albanian territories (Kosova, Macedonia, Montenegro and Greece) as well as the Albanian Diaspora.
- “A voice in the microphone”, Radio Tirana, Guest Agim Zajmi, 30 minutes -1995
- “Blue - with Agim Zajmi”, Klan TV, 120 minutes - 2004
- “The Theater is My Home” by Arben Minga, Albanian Radio Television, 1 hour - 2005
- on YouTube, Vizion+ TV, 30 minutes - November 2000
- on YouTube, ALSAT TV, 1 hour - January 2008
- “Red Fish’s Escape” with Agim Zajmi, NEWS24 TV, 30 minutes - 2009
- “Agim Zajmi, the poet of scenography”, Monographic book by Kudret Velça. Biblio. P. 181-182 - L. 350 Tir.800. Classification 75 .054 .071.1(496.5)(092) 929(496.5) [Zajmi, Agim].
This article has an unclear citation style.Learn how and when to remove this template message)(October 2017) (
- “I am optimistic on the future” - interview with Agim Zajmi, Art and Culture Newspaper, 2000, Nr. 33, 13 December, P.5
- “I feel comfortable among the youth” - Interview with Agim Zajmi (Scenographer and painter), Gazeta 55 Newspaper, Nr. 279, 29 November 2000, P.20
- “We must be conductors of the epochs” - Interview with Agim Zajmi, Tema Newspaper, Nr. 252, 22–23 April 2001 P. 16-17
- “The life and professional values of the father of many Albanian scenographies”, article on Agim Zajmi by Professor Kudret Velça and Kristaq Dhamo, Gazeta Shqiptare Newspaper, Nr. 1969, 5 September 2001, P.12-13.
- “Scenography that does not smell of art” (TV scenography). Interview with Agim Zajmi by Admirina Peçi, Shekulli Newspaper, Nr. 280, 10 October 2001, P.19.
- “Agim Zajmi the poet of scenography: The Albanian scenography has a name. He is renowned for its fineness and quality”. Shekulli Newspaper, Nr. 272, 2 October 2001, P.19.
- “We gave our love to the theater : Interview with the National Theater’s Scenographer, People’s Painter A. Zajmi”, Tema Magazine, Nr. 425, 9 November 2001, P.13.
- “Zajmi, the scenographer who embroiders the stage : on Agim Zajmi’s 65th Birthday”, Gazeta 55 Newspaper, Nr. 304, 27 November 2001, P. 18.
- “Agim Zajmi, 50 creations, gift for Berat. And on the scenography of the Comedy “I need a husband” - Interview with the scenographer Agim Zajmi”, Shekulli Newspaper, Nr. 338, 8 December 2001, P. 21 by Admirina Peçi.
- “The exhibition, with the artist’s eye. Painter Agim Zajmi expresses his opinions on the Ceramics International Exhibition”, Dita Newspaper, Nr. 381, 14 March 2002, P.14, by Admirim Domi.
- “I am pleased with my life’s account” - on the 67th birthday anniversary of Scenographer Agim Zajmi, Dita Newspaper, Nr. 962, 29 November 2003, P.19.
- “Art is the ocean where anyone can swim : Painter Agim Zajmi narrates”, Koha Jone Newspaper, Nr. 358, 29 December 2003, P.21, by Baxhul Merkaj.
- “Zajmi, the man who gave breath to the stage : Agim Zajmi - Scenographer”, Dita Newspaper, Nr.1254, 20 September 2004, P.18 by Bexhul Merkaj and Albert Z. Zholi.
- “I believe in the younger generation” - interview with Agim Zajmi, Gazeta 55 Newspaper, Nr. 8, 14 January 2005, P.16.
- “A poor artwork is very tiring” - interview with the Scenographer Agim Zajmi, Dita Newspaper, Nr. 1351, 7 January 2005, P.19, by Anila Çuli.
- “Art teaches people how to view reality” - interview with the Scenographer and Painter Agim Zajmi, Sot Newspaper, 30 April 2006, P.18-19, by Genta Kondi.
- “Përcillet për në banesën e fundit piktori dhe skenografi Agim Zajmi”. Gazeta SHQIP. 2013-10-16. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Përcillet për në banesën e fundit piktori dhe skenografi Agim Zajmi". Gazeta SHQIP. 2013-10-16. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- on YouTube
- Zajmi na la emblemën e betejës së Fushë Kosovës Archived 14 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine., lajmonline.com