28 July 1968 |
Kumi District, Uganda
|Alma mater||Ngora High School
(Uganda Certificate of Education)
Mende Kalema Memorial Senior Secondary School
(Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education)
International Institute of Business and Media Studies
(Diploma in Accounting)
Uganda Martyrs University
(Bachelor of Arts in Democracy & Development Studies)
Negev College in Israel
(Certificate in Sustainable Human Development)
|Occupation||Accountant and politician|
|Title||State Minister for Teso Affairs|
Agnes Akiror Egunyu, more commonly known as Agnes Akiror, is a Ugandan politician. She is the current State Minister for Teso Affairs in the Cabinet of Uganda. She was appointed to that position on 6 June 2016. Prir to that, from 27 May 2011 until 6 June 2016, she served as State Minister for Tourism, Wildlife & Antiquities]] She was appointed to that position on 27 May 2011. She replaced Serapio Rukundo, who was dropped from the cabinet. In the cabinet reshuffle of 1 March 2015, she retained her cabinet post. On account of being a cabinet minister, she is an ex-officio Member of Parliament.
Background and education
Akiror was born in Kumi District on 28 July 1968. After attending a local primary school, she enrolled in Ngora High School in Ngora, graduating in 1984. For her A-Level education, she attended Mende Kalema Memorial Senior Secondary School, in Wakiso District, graduating from there in 1988. She attended the International Institute of Business and Media Studies, graduating in 2000, with the Diploma in Accounting. She attended Uganda Martyrs University from 2006 until 2010, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Democracy & Development Studies. She also holds the Certificate in Sustainable Human Development, obtained from Negev College in Israel in 2008.
From 1988 until 1989, she served as an Accounting Assistant at Oya Rural Development Association. From 2000 until 2005, she served as the Managing Director of Eyalama, a local NGO. She served as the Member of Parliament representing the women of Kumi District on the Forum for Democratic Change political party ticket. However, in 2010, she left the FDC and lost her parliamentary seat. On 6 June 2016, she was named State Minister for Teso Affairs.
- Uganda State House (6 June 2016). "Museveni’s new cabinet list At 6 June 2016" (PDF). Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- Uganda State House, . (27 May 2011). "Comprehensive List of New Cabinet Appointments & Dropped Ministers". Facebook.com. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Uganda State House, . (1 March 2015). "Full Cabinet List As At 1 March 2015" (PDF). Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- POU (2011). "Profile of Agnes Akiror Egunyu, Ex-Officio Member of Parliament". Parliament of Uganda (POU). Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Elunya, Joseph (17 September 2010). "Kumi Woman MP Quits FDC". Uganda Radio Network (URN). Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- Uganda State House (6 June 2016). "Uganda's New Cabinet As At 6 June 2016". Scribd.com. Retrieved 18 June 2016.