Agnes of Solms-Laubach
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Agnes of Solms-Laubach|
|Landgravine of Hesse-Kassel|
17th century engraving
The Landgravine of Hesse-Kassel
|Born||7 January 1578|
|Died||23 November 1602 (aged 24)|
|Spouse(s)||Maurice, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel|
|Father||Count John George of Solms-Laubach|
|Mother||Margaret I of Schönburg-Glauchau|
Agnes was a daughter of Count John George of Solms-Laubach (1546–1600) from his marriage to Margaret (1554–1606), daughter of Count George I of Schönburg-Glauchau.
She married at the age of 15, on 23 September 1593, to Kassel Landgrave Maurice of Hesse-Kassel, whom she had met at the wedding of his oldest sister Anna Maria. Anna's wedding was celebrated in the presence of numerous princely guests. The marriage to the Calvinist Countess increased Maurice ties with the Calvinist counts of Wetterau considerably, although Maurice had chosen Agnes as his wife more out of love than of dynastic calculation.
Agnes was described as exceptionally talented, beautiful and lovable. Matthäus Merian made an embroidery of the countess with her husband and children. On the day after Anna's death, Maurice wrote to King Henry IV of France about his great loss.
From her marriage with Maurice, Agnes had following children:
- Otto (1594–1617)
- married firstly in 1613 Princess Katharina Ursula of Baden-Durlach (1593–1615)
- married secondly in 1617 Princess Agnes Magdalena of Anhalt-Dessau (1590–1626)
- Elisabeth (1596–1625)
- married in 1618 Duke John Albert II of Mecklenburg-Güstrow (1590–1636)
- married in 1619 Countess Amalie Elisabeth of Hanau-Münzenberg (1602–1651)
- Christian Roeth: history of Hesse, p. 225 ff.
- Heiner Borggrefe, Vera Lüpkes and Hans Otto Meyer (ed.): The scholar Maurice: a Renaissance prince in Europe, 1997
- Stefan Schweizer: interpretation of history and pictures from history, p. 270
- Alison Deborah Anderson: On the verge of war, p. 34
Agnes of Solms-Laubach
House of Solms-LaubachBorn: 7 January 1578 Died: 23 November 1602
Title last held bySabine of Württemberg
| Landgravine of Hesse-Kassel
23 September 1593 – 23 November 1602
Title next held byJuliane of Nassau-Dillenburg