|Coordinates: 15°02′25″N 73°59′11″E / 15.04030°N 73.98648°E|
|District||South Goa district|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (IST)|
Agonda is a large village located in Canacona in South Goa district, India. Agonda is famous for its beach and It is one of the only four beaches designated as turtle nesting sites under the Coastal Regulation Zone 2011 notification.
As of the 2011 India census, Agonda had a population of 3801. Males constituted 47% of the population and females 53%.Average Sex Ratio of Agonda village is 1110 which is higher than Goa state average of 973. Agonda had an average literacy rate of 86.11%, higher than the national average of 74.04%: male literacy was 91.47% and female literacy 81.26%. 10.42% of the population was under 6 years of age.
Agonda Beach is a 3 km long public beach located in Agonda village in Goa, India, about 9.2 kilometres (5.7 mi) north of Palolem Beach in South Goa district, and about an hour from Margao. There is one more beach on the north side of Agonda cliff called Cola beach which has an adjoining lagoon.
During the month of September, the beach serves as a nesting ground for olive ridley sea turtles.
In 2016 it was ranked on TripAdvisor's "Travelers Choice" as fourth in Asia by Tripadvisor 2016 and first in India.
- ^ News. (January 2016). First Olive Ridley turtle arrives for a late season at Morjim beach. Times News Network, The Times of India. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- ^ News. (December 2014). Turtles prefer Agonda beach, but poor nesting this season. Times News Network, The Times of India. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- ^ News. (June 2015). Agonda, home to turtles a concrete catastrophe. Times News Network, The Times of India. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- ^ "Three Indian beaches Agonda, Palolem (Goa) and Radhanagar (Havelock) among Asia's top 10: Survey". The Hindu. 28 February 2016. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- ^ "Turtles prefer Agonda beach, but poor nesting this season – Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 30 December 2014. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- ^ "Best Beaches in Asia – Travellers' Choice Awards – TripAdvisor". Tripadvisor.in. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- ^ "Best Beaches in India – Travellers' Choice Awards – TripAdvisor". Tripadvisor.in. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Agonda travel guide from Wikivoyage