Agorius is a genus of spiders in the family Salticidae (jumping spiders). The genera Agorius and Synagelides (and perhaps Pseudosynagelides) are sometimes separated as a genus group, called subfamily Agoriinae Simon, 1901.
Agorius was first described by Tamerlan Thorell in 1877. No new species were described for about one hundred years, with seven new species found in the twenty-first century. Undescribed species have been found in Malaysia and Sabah. Several more species have been found but not yet described.
Both sexes are about six to eight mm long. Agorius is similar to Myrmarachne, another good ant mimic, but can be distinguished from it by having no large, forward-pointing chelicerae, and is not found on vegetation above the ground, but only in rain forest leaf litter.
A. borneensis, A. formicinus, A. saaristoi and A. semirufus are only known from male specimens; A. cinctus, A. gracilipes and A. marieae are only known from a female.
As of April 2017, there are 12 species in the genus.:
- Agorius baloghi Szüts, 2003 – New Guinea, New Britain
- Agorius borneensis Edmunds & Prószyński, 2001 – Borneo
- Agorius cinctus Simon, 1901 – Java, Lombok
- Agorius constrictus Simon, 1901 – Malaysia, Singapore
- Agorius formicinus Simon, 1903 – Sumatra
- Agorius gracilipes Thorell, 1877 – Sulawesi
- Agorius kerinci Prószyński, 2009 – Sumatra
- Agorius lindu Prószyński, 2009 – Sulawesi
- Agorius marieae Freudenschuss & Seiter, 2016 – Philippines
- Agorius saaristoi Prószyński, 2009 – Borneo
- Agorius semirufus Simon, 1901 – Philippines
- Agorius tortilis Cao & Li, 2016 – China
- "Gen. Agorius Thorell, 1877", World Spider Catalog, Natural History Museum Bern, retrieved 25 April 2017
- Szűts, T. (2003). "New species of Agorius Thorell, 1877 (Araneae: Salticidae) from New Guinea" (PDF). Acta Zoologica Hungarica. 49 (1): 61–69.
- Murphy, Frances; Murphy, John (2000). An Introduction to the Spiders of South East Asia. Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian Nature Society. p. 303.
- Proszynski, J. (1997). "Genus Agorius - Provisional Notes". Salticidae: Diagnostic Drawings Library. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- Edmunds, M. & Prószynski, J. (2001): New species of Malaysian Agorius and Sobasina (Araneae: Salticidae). Bull. Br. arachnol. Soc. 12: 139-143.
- Salticidae.org: Diagnostic drawings and photographs
|This article about jumping spiders is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|