|Industry||Food and soft drinks, retail|
|Southeast and Central Europe|
|Ivica Todorić (CEO)|
|Revenue||€6.435 billion (2015)|
|Profit||€130.8 million (2015)|
Number of employees
|c. 60,000 (2016)|
|Divisions||Retail Group, Food Group, Business Group|
Agrokor (Croatian pronunciation: [âɡrokoːr]) is a retail joint-stock company with the headquarters in Zagreb, Croatia. Founded in 1976, it has greatly expanded their operations in the following decades by acquiring a number of large companies in Croatia and the region of Southeast Europe.
It was founded as a private firm for the production of flowers and flower seedlings in 1976. By 1977, business was expanded by new programs: import and export of cereals, oil crops, fruit and vegetables, with a significant increase in turnover and profits. In 1989 the joint-stock company Agrokor was registered. The Agrokor Group was registered in 1997. In 2000, Agrokor opened the largest distribution center in Croatia the region. Logistics and distribution center in Dugopolje opened in 2010. The most modern winery in the region worth €20 million was opened at Belje in 2011. First biogas facility was opened in Gradec in 2012.
Agrokor's core businesses are the production and distribution of food and drinks and retail, and over the years the group acquired several large Croatian companies in those sectors:
- Jamnica - the largest water bottling company in Croatia, established in the 1830s and acquired by Agrokor in 1992.
- Zvijezda - the largest cooking oil and margarine factory in the country, established in 1916 by Samuel David Alexander and acquired in 1993.
- Konzum - the largest supermarket chain in the country which operates over 600 stores in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia. Founded as "Unikonzum" in 1957, the company was acquired by Agrokor in 1994
- Ledo - the largest ice cream and frozen food manufacturer in Croatia, established in 1976 and acquired in 1994.
- PIK Vrbovec - the largest meat manufacturer in the country, acquired in 2005.
- Belje - the largest agricultural company in the country, acquired in 2005.
- Agrolaguna - winemaking, olive growing and cattle farming company acquired in 2005.
- Tisak - the largest chain of newsstands in the country and the biggest retailer of newspapers and tobacco products. Agrokor acquired a 54 percent majority stake in Tisak in 2007.
Agrokor also acquired or founded a number of companies in the region, including the Serbian ice cream manufacturer Frikom, water bottling companies Sarajevski kiseljak (in Bosnia and Herzegovina) and Fonyodi (in Hungary) and others.
For approaching international capital markets, Agrokor had to receive a rating by a rating agency as this is a must to give potential investors a benchmark. Without the ratings of Standard & Poor's and Moody's, Agrokor could not have issued two major bonds (one at the end of 2009 about 400 million, one in 2011 about 150 million). In April 2012, Standard & Poor’s also revised the outlook on Agrokor's ‘B’ rating to positive from stable.
Agrokor had to be considered by the Croatian market regulator Croatian Competition Agency (Croatian: Agencija za zaštitu tržišnog natjecanja, AZTN) for some of its acquisitions. It requested approval of acquisition of Mercator where Agrokor will have to shut down some retail locations in Croatia.
In June 2014, Agrokor finalized the acquisition of an 80.75% stake in Mercator. On 27 June 2014, Agrokor acquired the majority stake of Poslovni sistem Mercator and became its majority owner. The total value of the transaction amounts to €544 million, out of which €324 million are for the acquisition of 100 per cent of shares, and the rest to be used for deleveraging Mercator's financial position and for working capital requirements of Mercator's operations.
- "CE Top 500 Ranking report" (PDF). deloitte.com. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "History of Agrokor". agrokor.hr. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- http://www.tportal.hr/biznis/gospodarstvo/147973/Agrokor-otvorio-novu-Vinariju-Belja.html (Croatian)
- "Od 20. rujna Čakovečki mlinovi d.d., Istraturist d.d. i Konzum d.d. u indeksu CROBEX" (in Croatian). Zagreb Stock Exchange. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- Video of Hrvoje Habus, Director for Strategy and Capital Markets, Agrokor d.d. October 2011 Archived January 24, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- Agrokor's revised rating
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-01-16. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- "Moody's credit rating agency confirmed Agrokor Group's B2 status with stable outlook".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Agrokor.|